Printing photos yourself?

There is nothing wrong with printing yourself. If that's what you want to do, then go for it.

However, when running a business, you need to consider the bottom line. How much would it cost you to print off 30 8x10 photos? Consider the cost of high quality paper, ink, etc. The overhead costs of the printer, computer etc...then factor in the time you spend printing them etc. Weigh that against the cost of ordering prints from a lab...and associated costs like shipping or pickup etc.

You may find that prints from a lab are your best choice...or maybe you won't.

There is nothing wrong with printing yourself. If that's what you want to do, then go for it.

However, when running a business, you need to consider the bottom line. How much would it cost you to print off 30 8x10 photos? Consider the cost of high quality paper, ink, etc. The overhead costs of the printer, computer etc...then factor in the time you spend printing them etc. Weigh that against the cost of ordering prints from a lab...and associated costs like shipping or pickup etc.

You may find that prints from a lab are your best choice...or maybe you won't.

Thanks, Mike. The way it made it sound (from a book I was reading) was that printing them yourself was BAD. :er:

Lesson #742, don't trust everything you read in a book. :lol:

From what I've seen...the more fanatical the photographer is about perfect prints...the more likely they are to print themselves. So the top end, famous, professional...will typically print on their own machines...which have been meticulously calibrated and all that. Of course, they will all tell you that it's more expensive than printing at a lab.

So I guess it depends on what your goals are and what your standards are. I think that good lab prints are pretty darn good. Good enough for me, and good enough for my clients.

All that being said, I will almost always order my 4x6 prints from a lab but if I have one 8x10 to print, I'll just do it at home on my Canon photo printer.

I think you hit the magic button Mike. It's all about being fanatical about calibration of both machines, and using good quality archival paper. And of course, a good Epson or Canon printer.
(I'm waiting on Canon to send me a big fat check or endorcement deal-LOL-I feel like that sometimes!)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back