Printing your own photos?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by catweh00, Apr 20, 2005.

1. catweh00

catweh00 TPF Noob!

Hello everyone,
    I have a nikon d70 and I am beginning to look into buying a printer. With the rebate I will be receiving soon, I imagine that it will take a dent out of start-up costs.

Well, do many of you print your own? If so, which printers will give me great quality at 13x19 (inches) or equivalent? I will primarily be printing 11x14, but I would like to take it up to about 20 inches long maybe. I'm looking for a great printer that will print PHOTO-QUALITY, as in pictures that look no different from regular pics (i Know it depends on the camera, but still, pretty high quality stuff).

Also, which paper do you use with which printer? Any brand is fine, I am not loyal to anyone particular one.

Thanks a ton!
    Craig

2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've used an Epson 2200 photo printer for a couple of years now, and it gives fabulous color prints. Not much on the B&W, but I don't shoot digital and my B&W's come from the darkroom. ;) Just keep that in mind if B&W is important to you. This particular Epson uses pigment-based (read: archival) inks and the quality can be astonishing, especially on Epson luster or semi-gloss papers. It also gets along very well with Adobe, so if you use photoshop it's all pretty smooth sailing.

Good luck!

3. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

ive heared epsom are good printers and ive seen some very good quality results from them. Also think about how much the ink is going to cost you for your make of printer. Ink cartridges can be very expensive, some times exceeding the price you paid for the actual printer within a few weeks of use.

4. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

The canon 9900 is supposed to be good for B&W.

5. photong

photong Typo Queen

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    epson is awesome for printing. used that in school.

the ones we used didnt like glossy kodak paper. the ink chipped off (i dont know if theyre all like that). :( mine were all matte. of course it doesnt look like it came from a mini lab...but, it's just as good.