Printing your photos?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by STICKMAN, Oct 10, 2008.

1. STICKMAN

STICKMAN TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Was looking to find out who everyone uses to print their photos. I tried our local Sams Club today since it was low cost for 6 - 8x10's since the site didn't list 8x12's. I was not overly impressed with the outcome. the colors didnt seem to be crisp or jump out at me like they did on the pc. I was also advised my photos were cropped more then what there site requested me to do for a 8x10 wtf, I cant win... I was also told they do 8x12 you just have to drop off a disc and ask not use the web site... I think its time to try some pros or something. Any help would be appreciated.

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i use smugmug

3. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I never send anything (even snapshots) to Walmart, Walgreens or CVS anymore. Mpix gets all of my business. My wife recently got a free trial of snapfish and it was decent, but not quite as good as mpix. IMO you can't beat Mpix for price, quality and turn around time.

4. STICKMAN

STICKMAN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you guys don't mind me asking what are the turn around times like for each. Mpix and Smugmug??????? Dont know if it matters im in south jersey.

5. Mike30D

Mike30D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  6. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use me, photoshop, and a canon color ink-jet. It's always better results for a minute fraction of the price.

Turn-around times are measured in minutes. ;)

7. STICKMAN

STICKMAN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't be printing my own photos at home to sell to someone,thats not what customers are paying fo. As well as IMO there is no home printer at a normal price thats gonna produce what a pro machine can do. If i wanted to do that I would continue using sams club 8x10 is like a 1.30 something i think..........

8. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    IMO they produce better results than machines that use light for printing. I've run some tests and $200 ink-jets are noticeably superior. Also why can't you charge for images printed on a printer in your house? The paper looks and feels about the same. The longevity of the two are comparable. And as I said the image quality is superior. And it's not like your camera or your computer isn't in your house (privately owned) as well... <shrug>

9. STICKMAN

STICKMAN TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess you bring up some valid points, I however have a crappy printer at the moment. If it worked out cost wise and quality wise I am sure it can work..... thanks for the thoughts

10. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    mpix is very fast... I'm debating how much I love them at present, but they're very fast.

A buddy of mine also does excellent printing of images up to 17" wide. Good prices, good service. alan@belanger.net if you're interested. Tell him I sent you.

11. astrostu

astrostu I shoot for the stars

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've gotten flack here before for saying this, but I love Costco's prints. They're incredibly cheap and they're ready in an hour or less. 20x30" prints for $9.99 seriously can't be beaten. I have done tests on quality and the color range and accuracy is excellent, at least to my eye. They use light-sensitive paper and lasers to print, so it's inkless and doesn't smear; I believe the machines get the equivalent of about 4000 dpi and are 32-bit color.