Printing

Coldow91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What does it take to print 120 film (from a Holga)?
I understand and can get some help developing it but I don't understand printing it all. What materials are needed and how much will this cost? Used equipment is fine I ma just looking for an estimate. But if somebody could link me to some sites because my searches have been unsuccessful, or if you really want to take the time to walk me through the basics it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help and sorry but I have no knowledge in this area and want to get into it.

Google it...you'll find plenty of step-by-step instruction.

In terms of materials, you'll need:
1) An enlarger. Look hard enough and you'll find one for free. Try local photographers, labs, and craigslist.
2) An easel. Cheap.
3) Filters for the enlarger, unless you go with a color enlarger, which is a bit different.
4) Paper, paper developing chemicals.
5) An archival print washer if you're going to print on fiber papers. These can range from $50 to several hundred.
6) Preferably a print dryer.

Thanks that was very helpful I googled it but did not find what I was looking for, I guess I will try again. Is it all the same for 120 film vs. 35mm.

Only difference is that you'll need an enlarger than can print 120. This generally requires it to be a little larger than a 35mm-only enlarger, and of course be able to carry a 120 sized negative holder (645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, or 6x9).

Ok thanks a lot.

Hi Coldow91 - I'm not certain how you're googling this, that you can't find information. Check out this page, which I found in less than one minute and contains pretty basic step-by-step information. That's just for starters.

I would encourage you to pick up some books, too - something you can study before you purchase anything. Try Henry Horenstein's B&W series. You can find them on Amazon by searching from his name, and if you get the earlier versions, they are very inexpensive for the wealth of information they contain. They contain illustrations and pictures to guide you along.

You should also check to see if there are any darkroom classes at adult learning centers or local colleges in your area. A few weeks in a darkroom with a teacher will be extremely helpful, as opposed to learning on your own.

Give yourself time to study and learn. Good luck, and have fun! Once you get the hang of it you'll be hooked.

Terri's right. I printed my first enlargements from 120 film the other week and am absolutely in love! You'll want to check out some books to get the gist of things, but most of the stuff I know I taught myself through trial and error. That's not to say I'm good at it yet, but I've only been at it for a relatively short time.

Thanks terri I guess I did not look hard enough or at the right thing. Nealjpage I look forward to seeing some of your prints.

I will also look at my library if they have any books on printing.

Thanks a lot and sorry I probably should have been able to find this by myself but I did not look hard enough.

check ilford's website they have some pdf files that will give you specifics about necessar equipment, plus a beak down in the steps for making enlargements, etc.

one one else made a very good suggestion about finding a class , as it will help the learning curve, or perhaps someone in your area that could mentor you.

Most reactions

Back