prints and megapixel help

I think lbridges confused you. ...

Allan

Sorry if that's what happened. I understood the OP to want 4ft X 5ft prints that were to be viewed from 1ft distance.

All I was trying to say is that at work I have seen prints made on an Epson 9900 (44" wide), taken with a Nikon D3X, and at one foot viewing distance they are not acceptable IMO. Standing back at a "normal" viewing distance is another matter, they look great.

I also have older 35mm slide films (Kodachrome 25) that can't stand up to someone viewing (or should I say inspecting?) from a foot away from the screen. Again, when sitting on a chair and watching a slide show from a 'normal' distance they look great.

I think the only solution to the problem posed would be medium format or a view camera. And in digital, that would be very expensive (for my household budget anyway).

If big is what matters, and budget doesn't matter, check out a Hasselblad with a digital back. Most advertising photographers are shooting that. It's upwards of 39 megapixels.

If big is what matters, and budget doesn't matter, check out a Hasselblad with a digital back. Most advertising photographers are shooting that. It's upwards of 39 megapixels.

That would get you just a little bigger than 20x20 inches, nowhere near what the OP wanted to do. To get larger you really need something like 6x9 film at around 138mp or 4x5 film at about 592mp.

Allan

Most reactions

Back