Prints from 35mm slide film

j_mcquillen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightinthesky.co.uk
Assuming I have a nice sharp image on a high quality 35mm slide (Fuji Velvia 50), what sort of size can I expect to get decent prints up to?

Also, would I be better off having the slide scanned, and a digital print made, or getting a direct print made using Cibachrome etc?

Hey J - I'm new to the board - but from my little experience - you can get pretty good size prints from slide film.

I started with the Kodak slide film (100) (still use it for my nature stuff) - and I got a print done at 11x14 at a photo lab and the quality was excellent. No graininess or anything - it was very very good. You could probably go higher - especially since you are using 50 speed film. The lower the speed the tighter the grain - the tighter the grain the bigger you can enlarge your pictures.

You could probably enlarge bigger than this and still see no visible graininess.

Hopefully some of the pros will answer your question too.

You see - it depends on the distance from which you are looking at your photo, for example you can have 20x30 cm made in the lab and watch it from a meter (for example hold on the waal) and you won't see grainies

Most reactions

New Topics

Back