prints or CD?

Christina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you offer your clients prints from their shoot or do you offer a high resolution disk with the images? Any why do you chose that route?

For those who offer disks on the weddings do you also print a wedding Book or not?

I have found that most clients want the files, so that is what I sell most often.

I like selling the files because once the files are delivered, the job is over and done with. When you sell prints you might have to wait years before the orders come in for reprints.

For weddings, I do also give them a photo album with 200 4x6 prints. This is a bit redundant, because they have the files but this serves a couple of purposes. First, it lets them see what quality prints look like...I don't want them printing their photos at Wal-mart and blaming me when they look like crap. Secondly, it's something that is an added value to them but doens't really cost me that much. My last couple of weddings, I didn't have the album as part of the package they bought...but I surprised them with it when I delivered the files. It lets them know that they got great value from me and leaves them with a good impression...which is important because former clients become our best advertisers.

I found a website called blurb.com that looks like an awesome site to do the weddings Books also. I seen a actual product of thèirs and it looked very nice. Anyone have experience with this site?

I don't know anything about blurb.com, I've never even heard of it. Might be nice though.

I have often heard people talk about http://www.asukabook.com/ but I haven't used them either.

There are plenty of companies that offer these kinds of products...many of them will give you a free sample or at least sell you a discounted sample, so that you can evaluate it and/or show it to your clients.

I have prints as a part of my price. The number of them goes up with the price of course. I offer the CD after the sale as well as prints. I find that CDs save me a lot of time and energy by my not having to go back and forth with further selections and decisions and revisions.

The only thing I stress to people who want the CD is that they use a good lab for their prints so that when they are showing the photos to their friends and family they don't have to explain why some look so much better than the others.

I'm getting ready to do my 3rd wedding and with any service (weddings, portraits, seniors, etc) I offer either prints or CD or they can get CD + prints. Like Big Mike, I much prefer the CD route and I charge a little more for it than I do if they were just doing prints. With prints, it's just one more step in the process. I might change that in the future, but I'd rather not hassle with it personally.

By giving them the CD.....that doesn't really give them the rights to print them though right? So all they would have is a set of background pictures for their computer unless you give them a copyright release. Am I right in thinking that?

By giving them the CD.....that doesn't really give them the rights to print them though right? So all they would have is a set of background pictures for their computer unless you give them a copyright release. Am I right in thinking that?
If you give them the CD but not the print rights, then yes...it would be illegal for them to make copies or prints etc. However, most people either don't know or don't care about that...they will make prints anyway.

They way I see it, the whole point of selling them a CD of images...is that you are also selling them the right to make prints (for their own use). That is why we can charge a lot for the CD...basically, you want to charge enough to make up for income that you would have made on print sales.

If you do not want them to make prints, then there would be no reason to give them high resolution files.

Low rez files or images with a watermark, on the other hand, may be used a proofs...so that they can look at them an order prints from you.

Just to be argumentative here, you could argue the point that there is no other reason to give a full resolution image to anyone unless they were going to print it. Having been given the images on a CD with no impediment to printing could be construed as permission to make use of those files.

Or, in other words, if you don't want them to print from a CD them you should give them low res, 72 dpi images.

Best to either sell all of it and be done or only sell the prints. And like I said, a low res slide show for a screen saver if they want.

$.02

In my work clients rarely get either these days. Most of the shots are posted to our ftp site and away they go. When providing a cd I always include a contact sheet of the cd's contents. Sometimes prints are needed but that has become few and far between these days.

Love & Bass

I have asked this question before and never really got an answer. How do you price a CD? For instance, I sell a color 8x10 for $22 normally. This is where I make my profit, not from the sitting fee. How can I affix a price to an entire CD? Do I charge $100 or $300 for it...or even more? Do you charge per image?

Greg

upload to site,. then they can proof everything online and order from there.
If you give them anything physical ie. CD album etc.. then you have to charge sales tax. (Here in CA)
Not always avoidable, but good info to know..

i too am interested in how much peeps charge for the cd?

i charged 50 pound above the wedding package price and got NO reprints.

you live and learn i suppose. ive done 3 weddings and 3 more booked

Most reactions

New Topics

Back