Prints vs Slideshow Portfolio?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by dpolston, Oct 15, 2007.

1. dpolston

dpolston TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have a question for all of you newbies and oldies out there. I have both a print portfolio (mostly 8x10's) and a slide-show dvd (music and all that jazz) portfolio.

I have noticed that I shoot almost everyday and I seem to get better quality photos and I'm developing more personally stylized images for my work. Since I am becoming more and more serious about the photo business thing (which is not my primary job: actually, I own a remodeling company), I need to possibly choose a format for my marketing myself.

I have clients (usually, average Joe's and Jane's) that like to pop in a dvd on their own time and check me out. But I also do a fair amount of commercial work (brochure, stock and location "day in the life of business" stuff) where I think print is more appropriate.

I am leaning more and more to the slide-show, but I think some purest might think it's too "snap-shotty" to be taken seriously. I like the slide-show advantage because franlky, I can use music and movement to help sell the mood or emotion of the photo. Case in point: I am meeting with our local newspaper next week to talk about some freelance work (mainly theater/concert stuff).

What would you bring; print or dvd or both?

2. TimboAA

TimboAA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    As a recent grad (Yes, I need a job, anyone?) we talked a lot about portfolios on the web and what not. This included Demo Reels, slide shows, etc. As far as music with a digital portfolio of any kind goes, it can be a hit or miss with music. Personally, I don't put music in. What if you get a person who doesn't like your chosen soundtrack? Then they are going to be too busy thinking about that. It can also set the wrong mood for the viewer. But like I said, its hit or miss. I generally say no to music.

It's also best to have several different forms for a portfolio. Especially with technology the way it is. Playing burned DVDs in a DVD player can sometimes be a problem. I've had DVD-Rs work on some, but not others, I also have had weird luck with DVD+Rs. So choose your poison. Also, keep in mind, not everyone has a computer or a second option to play the DVD if it dosen't work. Then what do you do? When I actually get interviews for jobs (different situation, but similar) I bring my laptop because i know it works there. I have it on the web, as well as a DVD of my "greatest hits" to leave behind.

3. pandinus

pandinus TPF Noob!

Stavanger, Norway (moving to Bergen in November)
    Photos OK to edit
    I must say that I agree with Tim. Music to a slideshow can go both ways. If you've done a good job, it should go the right way. I've got a slideshow portfolio, and I'm working on one in prints as well. Once I'm done with my moving, I'll get started on a web page.

Since I'm part of a photography club, I'll be working on 2 pages. One for the club, and one as a portfolio for me...

4. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Stay away from music. And there's no substitute for a good printed portfolio.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who says you have to commit to one or the other. Why not Tailor your portfolio/advertising to the client that is seeing it?

For a newspaper, I'd go with prints. For wedding or portrait clients; prints are also good but a DVD slide show wouldn't be out of line.

I've even gone so far as to have different business cards for different purposes.

6. wishbone

wishbone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Both will be perfect if done strategically. I have seen some slide portfolio with music that really fits to theme (ex. pics about beach party with beach party music). But I prefer printed, perfect for collection and presentations.

7. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I my self am in a similar position I improve and take this more seriously I am considering moving on to a more professional stance (I seriously need to supplement my income) The decision I have come to is both, I shoot traditional, so naturally I have prints, I take those prints and put them into an online gallery as opposed to a DVD slide show. When approached I give them the gallery information as I don't carry my prints everywhere. They can use what I have in the gallery to determine whether or not I am the one they looking for or not. If I am, I can then take the prints to them to show them the gallery was not a fluke. I feel this will give the potential employer a better idea as to whether I am honest or not. This should help the employers comfort and a comfortable employer is more important than a lot of people realize.

As of right now my gallery seriously lacks luster but....I still have some work to do on improving so this is still down the road a bit for me.

8. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photos just look better printed. I don't know maybe it's nostalgia maybe it's the fact it's right there on ink and paper instead of back lit on a display which could have all sorts of colour calibration issues.

I print all my best photos, even just for me, even if no one will see them. They seem more tangible that way, and I seem to get a lot more Woah's on prints despite most people who have seen them have seen the same pictures on my website before

9. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently was fortunate enough to see what I thought was a nice portfolio. It was a beautiful 4" thick leather wrapped album layout.

Opening pages were 4 DVDs labled with 4 styles of music:
    - Classical
    - Contemperary insturmental
    - Modern
    - RAP (no idea why that was there... but it was... lol)

He had the middle filled with printed pictures of his portfolio and the end was a series of slides that duplicated the pictures so they could be taken out and played on a projector.

This guy had all the bases covered. If they wanted no music, choose any of the DVDs and mute the sound or listen to them all in 5.1 surround sound. The music was more for background and his voice explaining the transitions from picture to picture and work experience dominated the show.

Very cool!