Pro 400H, thoughts and shots

spiralout462

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I received a roll of Fuji Pro 400H back from Dwayne's today. I'm not quite as pleased as I have been with other films, but it very well could be conditions and the person pushing the shutter release ;). I still struggle with composition, but you can't say I'm not trying!
Foxy Pro4002resized.jpg
Pro400 beachresized.jpg
Pro400 harbor2resized.jpg
Pro400 kids beachresized.jpg
Pro400 tacos2resized.jpg
It seems like a decent option when I need a "faster" color negative film. I would probably reach for the Vista or Porta first though.

It doesn't look like Fuji. Everywhere green cast and not very pretty grain in shadows and sky. Conditions seems right for very good color so I think it is a bad development.

These have a very prominent green cast to them, and it looks like there was insufficient exposure in the shadow areas. I am assuming that we're being shown scans made for the film, right? Not sure what actually happened...it could be a little bit of more than one thing: I suspect under-exposure, but I also see a troubling green cast on every single frame, and a very high amount of grain--but when I click on the shots and look at them full-size,. I think I see crappy scanning: not film grain, but very mechanical, repeating, digital artifacts.

Fuji 400H is the descendant of NPH, a somewhat bland, chalky film that didn't handle greens exceptionally well. Agree that a mix of under-exposure/duff processing/sloppy scanning could be at work. You could try 1/3--2/3 stop over-exposure, once common with NPH. If it's 35mm, try plain vanilla Superia 200 or Portra for 120--and maybe another lab?

Thanks for the comments! The scans were also "hazy" and lacked good contrast. I've had good results using the same equipment and lab. I think I'll stick with slide film for color with the occasional Vista200.

I was never happy with 400H. Portra has always worked better for me

Most reactions

New Topics

Back