Pro Body question

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Sachphotography, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Sachphotography

Sachphotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im am curious. I was reading a website today and they labeled a canon 20d as a professional camera. Now agree that the use of the camera defines the label. But come on... What really defines a Professional. I recently picked up a d300. Now this by all mean can be used to achieve professional results but it falls more into a Semi-pro category.. I guess my question is this.....

What really defines a Professional camera?
    Specs or how it is used?
    I see people doing shoots with a rebel or d60 and have to wonder about this!??!

Input please....

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who cares what someone labels something, just shoot... There's no way to define it, so I don't see the point - it's marketing. Sure some bodies are built better and to last longer, but you can get the same image quality from a D5000 that you can from a D300.

The only thing that defines a professional camera is what a professional decides to use.

3. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes ... marketing.

Labels are being used to elevate the status of the camera ... makes the buyer feel that they are purchasing a superior camera because it is designed for a "professional" photographer.

4. Sachphotography

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just curious is all...

5. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    pro level cameras are generally sealed and have vertical grips built in. so, 1D's or the nikon D1/2/3

6. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would attribute it to build quality, as well. There are many consumer grade cameras out there that can take professional grade photos, but there is no way my D70 would've stood up to the physical abuse that my D2Xs has seen.

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Professional d-slr bodies from Nikon and Canon cost a pretty fair amount of money and have the best technology their manufacturers can offer. It's pretty clear that neither a Nikon D3000 or a Canon Rebel T1i can be called "professional d-slr".

I prefer the term "flagship camera" to represent the top Nikon and Canon bodies, which have been the D1-D2-D3 series and the Canon 1D and 1Ds series bodies. If you've ever used any of those cameras, you'll know how much they differ from the lower-priced offerings.

8. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Clear to us maybe. But in the eyes of your typical consumer, any camera these days that isn't a point and shoot is automatically a "professional" camera. Having a DSLR elevates your status to the general public.

That said the professional cameras are based on their likely hood that something will go wrong. You'll find the figures that matter are build quality, weather sealing, and shutter durability above all else.

9. Sachphotography

Photos NOT OK to edit
    O basically assumed most of what has been said here, I was just wondering what others said. Pretty much I figure that the true pro bodies were the D3 and 1d series. I would consider a d5 MII and a d700 a pro body due to their specs. I honestly don't care. I made money all last year with my d80 and now that I moved up to the d300 I plan to make more because now I can shoot the jobs I had to turn down. Upgrading to 2.8 glass will help a bunch as well!!!

10. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    So you guys are saying that Pro camera's have mechanical advantages over the "un-pro" models, concerning durability and environmental protection ?

Would the Pentax K-7 be a "Pro" camera ?

11. Sachphotography

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who knows... I dont. I just dont want this turning into a brand war. I am just curious on peoples opinions. In my opinion I would say that the k-7 would be a semi-pro body. Take it with a grain of salt but that's my opinion.

12. Hybrid Designz

Hybrid Designz TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hey now! i have a d5000 and i must say ive seen some pretty amazing things come from this cam. i think its more the photographer...