Pro Camera + Gear for under $20k

Funny thing is, I thought just between the FF body plus 3 lenses would cost me $20k, lol.

You say you work in finances?

Just a quick thought about this..... The OP mentions that he can't buy local or would have to order from Dubai.... not sure of where he is located....

Were you specifying $20k US dollars? I know I can get a lot less for $20K Canadian at the moment. Also, even after factoring exchange rates, some items cost more in some countries than others....

Whoa!
Check out the killer, built like a tank camera stand he uses in that video.
THAT's his camera stand? Criminey! You could mount a basketball goal on that thing.

Funny thing is, I thought just between the FF body plus 3 lenses would cost me $20k, lol.
In medium format, that would just get you a camera and one lens. No lights, no stands, no stage, no computer, and no software.

Most of us have assumed miniature format (i.e.: 35mm size cameras and lenses)

Honestly; for product photography you really don't need the world's best camera. You do need to know how to use whatever you end up with, along with lights, stands, stage and/or tent, light modifiers, scrims, etc.

Don't try to blow the whole wad on just a camera, or you won't be able to learn the craft.

Yeah, you are creating files for the internet at 72 dpi, it's not going to need to be a great image, just good, well lit and sharp.
For print, 150 line screen is sufficient and is what Toyota (Lexus) uses on their direct mail variable data advertising campaigns costing a million dollars just for the printing.
The most critical thing on those campaigns is an exact color match and that is achieved by a properly calibrated press and an operator making constant comparison checks as it runs.

Sounds like your experience is too limited to jump into spending $20 thou on equipment. (That could probably apply to things besides photography too.) You've done some product shots for local businesses, and follow a couple of guys online - that just isn't enough.

Gary was right though, you should have enough experience to have some idea what you need. You seem to be thinking it's all about the equipment, but a good photographer can do a lot without necessarily having all the most expensive equipment. I'd suggest a lot more learning and practicing if you really want to do this. Build up your skills and add to your equipment as you go.

I don't know where you live if these resources would be of help, but American Society of Media Photographers or PPA have resources available. Or you could try looking at the Photo District News PDN Online | Photo Magazine | Pro Photography News & Gear.

I read the 1st post and you have said that you have a limited knowledge of photography, well that is not word for word. But you have come off as you have got not much in the know how in this field. Though you then went on to say that you want to spend some of the car money on buying more equipment.
There is nothing wrong with throwing yourself into the deep end without knowing too much. But it to me sounds like throwing good money down the drain.
Have you thought of some on line course to learn. As all I can see is a failure on your skill levels.
But then other people are much braver than I am and willing to risk that. If you are one of them I wish you all the luck you can get as I feel you will need it.

Spend time and money on training. Then work out if it's the right area for you and which equipment you might need. Putting the cart before the horse is a surefire recipe for misdirecting your money, at best, and wasting it, at worst.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this, but for $22K you can have a professional photographer (who already has all the cool gear) on retainer for...what...10 years at least?

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this, but for $22K you can have a professional photographer (who already has all the cool gear) on retainer for...what...10 years at least?

If you were a race car driver, would you hire someone to drive for you, or build a car and race yourself?

If you were a race car driver, would you hire someone to drive for you, or build a car and race yourself?
What? Wait!!! You mean if I go into business for Myself l'm supposed to actually work in my business? Wow being an entrepreneur is tougher than it sounds.

Most reactions

Back