Pro Photographer Mag

I just got this mag a few days ago and never really looked at the cover. Now that you point it out, I went backed and looked at my copy. The PP is real crappy.

Someone circle the bad parts for this noob, please.

You guys have better eyes that I do.

The man's entire face is the bad part.

Are those artifacts? I thought they were freckles?

Seriously, his face looked more suspect than anything else I could see...but what if he just has naturally shiney, smooth cheeks? ;)

Is that it?

Wow... is that really the same picture? Just with tons of things added/removed? There are a few similarities that stick out.

About how many hours do you think that took?

i dunno, i just typed 'bad retouching' or something similar into google and that was one of the first to appear. it certainly looks different :D

OMG, that is terrible! Is that all you need to be able to do to be able to get covers on "professional" photography magazines???

The people on the cover don't even look human - they look like some intricately manufactured mannequins.

Nice teeth! What did the artist do - make a selection of all the teeth and just use a white fill color with the paint bucket???:lmao:

Wow.

You know even poorly done surface blur is saved if used as it should be. On a separate layer with careful blending modes. Or applied in another colour space so it changes the operational dynamics like Alpha said.

It's not hard. 10 minutes of googling comes up with some great guide to do realistic retouching. Did anyone else notice his teeth? Forget the surface blur I can't see it past the white lenseflare that is his teeth!

Although surface blur can be ok in Lab mode, I feel its best use there is for noise removal. In my opinion, catch-all techniques are rarely appropriate for skin retouching. Blur is always a last option for me, even in Lab mode. Suppose, for example, you were retouching a beauty closeup and needed to preserve pore texture. Blur would be terribly ineffective. Even if you aren't working on a closeup, I feel more specific and exact tools are almost always better ones. I have never encountered a photograph where I wanted to edit all areas of skin in the same way. Mind you, we're talking retouching, not applying "effects." If you find a photo that needs exactly the same retouch to all areas of skin, please let me know so I can cue the release of the flying pigs.

maybe it's supposed to represent the "sagging sales" as mentioned in the lower right corner?

Most reactions

Back