Pro photographer? Studio? Clients?

photong said:
That makes you lucky right there. I don't have any of that. Sure I was given money for a lightmeter, and some free lenses and lukily won a certificate so thats how I got my mini digi in the first place. I have a small window, no money for lights, not much room to work with, etc.

Haha, real, I know the room problems, we had to re-arrange my mom and brother so I could get the room that had the longest throw for the times I use long lenses.

The lights aren't that big of a gain to me though - They're worth about 1,100 dollars but I've put 900 into them for repairs. One of the powerpacks needed a new capacitor, the heads and modeling lights needed to be replaced, and one strobe caught on fire unexpectedly and I had to ship it to Norman (Which I found out is no longer in burbank >:|) to get it fixed. I'm thinking about ebaying my current lights and buying a newer setup.

Beginner here. Photojournalism interests me.

So how do you grow your business? Get new clients?

What type of "add-on" products do you offer, if any, on top of standard photographing and prints? What types of products would you consider adding, or have thought about adding?

iMpact buLL said:
So how do you grow your business? Get new clients?

I would say that my website has brought in more clients than anything thing else I've done. 90% of my wedding and portrait customers found me there first, and the rest were word of mouth. All of my commercial clients have found me though my website.

I don't offer anything except taking the pics and darkroom services. I'll mat photos, but I don't even provide albums with my wedding packages.

Definately web site traffic and referrals have been the biggest draw for me. I'm thinking to doing some wedding fairs next year. I do offer albums with my packages and an upgrade to a coffee table album if the couple would like. I also include a framed 16X20 with the more expensive packages. They also get two photographers at the wedding so they get good coverage of all that is happening.

Since I shoot digital I also offer specialty effects, borders, montages,etc.

Digital Matt said:
I sell my fine art photography. Does that mean I'm a pro? :p

There are many different opinions of what makes a photographer pro. Some folks say it's when you make most of your money doing it, others say it's if you make any money doing it. My version is you are a pro if you are paying taxes on it ;)

photong said:
That makes you lucky right there. I don't have any of that. Sure I was given money for a lightmeter, and some free lenses and lukily won a certificate so thats how I got my mini digi in the first place. I have a small window, no money for lights, not much room to work with, etc.

Don't complain, just improvise. There's always gonna be someone who's been handed a better lot in life than you.

Most reactions

Back