Problem uploading pics with new CF card

Shaun_300

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a new 16GB Compact Flash card off of Ebay so I could hold a lot of pictures on my card. Took a few yesterday and just went to upload them on the computer and it doesn't recognize the card! It holds the pics on the card fine, but the computer will not pick up the card. Has anyone else had this problem before? Am I doing something wrong?:gah:

You got a no-name 16GB card on ebay, that's what you did wrong in the first place.

You might have to take it somewhere (ritz does it) to get memory card recovery. They'll put it on a CD or DVD and then format it.

You should ALWAYS format your memory cards when you put them in the camera.

Holding a lot on one card versus hold several on a few cards is a different way to look at things. I shoot RAW at 12.3megs per image. I can get 197 images on a 4GB card. How much more do I need? Even shooting at 8fps? I keep 16GB of memory on 5 different cards on hand. It only takes a minute to swap out. When that one 16GB card you have craps out, what have you gained?

How do you get 197 RAW files on a 4GB card? I use 8 GB cards and only get 303...
All I can go on is what the display tells me. On a Sandisk Extreme III 2GB card, I get 98 images. With a Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB card, I get 197 images. These are for a D300 set for RAW at 12.3 per image. I just checked both cards to make sure.

I just got the card on ebay because it seemed like a good deal. Figured it'd work no problem. I don't know a lot about the technical stuff when it comes to memory cards, I just figured it'd work since it was a CF card. Oh well, lesson learned. Thanks guys!

on my D700, shooting RAW, uncompressed, 14 bit, my counter tells me that I can fit 155 files on a fresh 4GB card, and 77 on a 2GB.

Shooting lossless compressed, or 12 bit GREATLY increases those numbers.

I have 10GB spread over 3 2gb cards and 1 4gb one. I'd much rather have a bunch of small cards over 1 or 2 larger ones becuase it's safer.

Most reactions

Back