Problem with blown out skies

This is about the best I've been able to do with it...still not satisfied, though.

No offence, but did you read any of my post? Everything you need to know is there, and you shouldn't be having this problem anymore.

here is my try...I could of messed around a lil bit more on making it not so dark where the bridge is, but im moving today..and out of time...haha

mytake.jpg

No offence, but did you read any of my post? Everything you need to know is there, and you shouldn't be having this problem anymore.

Yeah I did. And I appreciate it.

I posted an example at Manaheim's request.

Jon

^^^ actually that sky doesn't look all that blown out, really. Sun is to your left and just slightly behind you, which isn't totally ideal for a good sky, but definitely not the worst scenario either.

That being said, the shot you have there is tough. You have detail in a lot of areas ranging from quite dark to very bright. These are always going to be a bear to expose properly. I usually meter the darkest spot that I want visible and the lightest, and try to balance in between the two, being careful not to overexpose skies if possible. To be honest, I think you basically wound up with just that, so I think you did pretty well.

metering for the sky does not mean you focus on the sky, it means you take the light reading off the sky. So meter on the sky, then compose the subject and focus.
But yes, this can cause you to now have an underexpose the subject. You have to compromise sometimes.

Stupid question here......how do you meter on the sky versus auto focusing on the sky?

Point camera upwards into the vastness of blue. Half press the shutter release button. Look through the viewfinder and it will indicate how much under/overexposed you are. Dial your little wheel until it is positioned in the middle bar (aperture/shutter speed/ISO/exposure comp... your choice). WhaLaa.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back