Problem with my camera, again. EOS 40D

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Hobbes, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Hobbes

Hobbes TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I went out earlier this afternoon to take some photos and it started to rain a lil bit, well barely just a few tiny tiny drops and I only took one pic while it was raining and when I tried to change ISO setting by pressing the dedicated ISO button it took like several seconds for it to respond and sometimes it didnt respond at all so I almost panicked because I just got my camera fixed when the main LCD broke when it was only three days old :confused: well I did the same thing most people would have done which was to turn the thing off and turn it on again but the problem was still there... but after a few minutes I got the idea of removing the battery and then put it back again and everything went back to normal again with the ISO button started to work as it did before. Now I am just wondering if this has happened to any of you too. I am using a three weeks old Canon EOS 40D with 17-85mm IS USM lens. pic below will give an idea what it is like to use it

[​IMG]

2. sburatorul

sburatorul TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i really think it is not from the water drops... a week ago, while i was shooting a sunrise on the danube bank a took a dip in the water, the camera wasn't sunk but the splash that i caused soaked my nikon d60. i got it wraped in my woolen jacket and got the battery out. 30 mins later it was working just fine.

3. bellacat

bellacat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    mine was acting wacky a few days ago when i was trying to take shots outside when it was misty out. now its working fine.

4. Hobbes

Hobbes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah it may have been some weird temporary malfunction course I went out with my camera earlier today and it worked just fine. thanks for the replies :)

@sburatorul
    lmao didn't know the D60 can take so much water or maybe you were just lucky :D

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I got caught in a torrential downpour while in the rain forests of Costa Rica. My 20D got absolutely soaked...so much so that the LCD screen fogged up on the inside. The camera never skipped a beat and still works fine, several years later.

6. Hobbes

Hobbes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    wth lol I thought that EOS 20D 30D 40D are not weather sealed at all

7. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    they arent :p

8. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had that happen to one of my A2's too. The tin roof of the utility building I was setup in leaked during heavy rains and just like a faucet opened to a very heavy dribble, proceeded to soak one of the A2's and in so doing splashed the two next to it. This went on for about 10 hours before anyone noticed. I had to unbolt the lens and disassemble it completely to dry out the elements but it worked OK after it was dried out and it kept working right up until the day I sold it many months later.

A2's are definitely not weather sealed.

9. Zeabned

Zeabned TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know about the other ones, but I read that the 40D is supposed to be weather sealed. I wonder if that was hype or it just means some level of weather-proofing, short of sealing. I would like to know, because I have one. :?:

10. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Doubtful that the rain did it. I've had way worse than that happen without any kinds of problems. Every once in a while a bad apple does come off the assembly line. It could be that, but probably just a one time fluke, really. What kind of memory cards and batteries are you using?

11. gendarmee

gendarmee TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A couple drops of sea water landed on my Sony P&S at the beach, all buttons stopped working and it didn't turn off either. Started working fine after 20 minutes of drying, but the power button spring got corroded and the cam wouldn't turn off at all.
    Sony quoted $110 for replacing that, i stuffed a piece off chopped eraser under the plastic arm oft he switch, and it's been working fine since the last 3 years.

12. shachr6

shachr6 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a 40D also first wedding I did with it same thing happened, I couldent change the ISO and it would not auto focus, I took out the battery and it sill wouldent work, so I took it home pulled out all the batteries and recharged them and its worked fine ever since, have no idea what happened.