Problem with my camera/lens

Bluepoole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I sincerely hope somebody would be able to give me advice on this matter.

I have a Canon 7D with a Canon 17-85mm lens. Today, for the first time ever, I got the "Err 01" message, saying there is an communication error between the camera and lens, and suggesting to clean the contact points.

It only happens between 17-24mm focal length, above that everything works and I can still take photos.

I then cleaned the contacts, with a soft cloth, but the problem persists.

I googled a bit and a lot of sources point to a problem with the so-called aperture flex cable on the 17-85mm lens.

But what confuses me, is that I then tested the lens on my older body, a Canon 350D, and then it works fine, at all focal lengths. I also tested my kit lens, the 18-55mm IS on my 7D, and once again everything works.

I then put the 17-85mm back on the 7D, and regretfully I still get the "Err 01" message when trying to shoot at focal lengths shorter than 24mm.

If the aperture cable in the lens was the problem, wouldn't the lens also give an error on the other camera?

What could possibly be the problem here? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Since the lens works on your 350D, I'd be suspicious of your 7D. Did you clean those contacts as well?

Or, it may be aperture related that shows up when using 17-24mm. So, try it again on your 350D, forcing the aperture (and shutter speed as well, just to remove another variable) to what you used on the 7D.

If all else fails, consider sending it to Canon for evaluation and repair. But compare their estimate to the cost of replacement, perhaps a refurb from the Canon website or reputable camera store. I think I'd probably go with the refurb.

For what it's worth, my EF 24-105 gave me that twice in one shoot a couple weeks ago. They're known to have internal cable problems as well. So I may be facing the same choice myself in the not too distant future. Fortunately, turning the camera off, removing and re-mounting the lens solved the problem.

Most reactions

Back