problem with my d80

klissarov ik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i bought from ebay my d80 a few weeks ago, here is the same example of my purchase http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nikon-D80-Digita...QQihZ006QQcategoryZ147174QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

so i just received it today, and from what i've read on the web page- it says "mint condition". when i opened the protecting box, guess what- a good old "reconditioned product" box surprise. now, from what i've seen in the box- everything seems wrapped correctly except one cable that isn't.

also, from the same web page- here is something they wrote:

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is a Nikon Factory Demo?[/FONT] [FONT=arial, helvetica]In most cases a Nikon Factory Demo is a unit that has been used as a Nikon display piece or as a "Salesman's Sample". They have never been owned by a consumer and have minimal to no use. Each unit is individually checked and tested before it is shipped to us from Nikon. Where some may have small marks or slight imperfections in the finish, it is important to note that the unit is in brand new operating condition and is covered by Cameta Camera's warranty for one full year on all parts and labor"[/FONT]

my question to y'all is what could i do against this? or there isn't something i can do...

thanks

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I buy and sell alot on ebay and the auction you have linked seems to state clearly that it is a demo product.If you are dissatisfied you should contact cameta and let them know about it.If the camera is as described than you dont have a leg to stand on but if it is not what was described then you can file a complaint with ebay/paypal if cameta fails to work with you.

You say the box says reconditioned/refurbished?

If you bought the camera for a good price and all functions well with it then you got a good deal on a fantastic camera.

Check the shutter actuation and see how many clicks its got on it

What's the problem?

'Mint Condition' doesn't mean brand new and never used. 'brand new operating condition' also doesn't necessarily mean that it's brand new...just that it operates like a brand new model would.

The link you posted says that it's a factory demo. Which basically means that it was a demo somewhere, then shipped back to Nikon for inspection or refurbishing...then sold as a refurbished camera.

It might also mean that it was picked off of the initial assembly line for some reason, then fixed while still at the factory...but because it came off of the line, it's packaged as 'refurbished'.

Either way, it's got a warranty and probably works just fine. If you are unhappy with it, send it back and buy one brand new from a local store.

This is why you buy new from a local shop or off Adorama or B&H.

This is why you buy new from a local shop or off Adorama or B&H.

As long as you do your research you can usually find some really good deals on ebay.I have traded alot on ebay and had little to no problems.The only thing I like about the local camera shops is the ability to handle their merchandise and then leave,well I occaisionally buy a filter or other item I can get for the same similar price from the web.
The problem I have with local shops is that they seem to try and make all their money for the year off my one purchase.
Adorama and B&H seem to be priced rather fairly but I can still save a few hundred on ebay with a little research and sniping.
Case in point is ,I was looking to get a 70-200mm 2.8 L glass and I got a nice used one from ebay for HALF of what they wanted in the camera shop. 200 dollars less than the sigma version new at the same store.
JMHO

Most reactions

Back