Problem with my lens hood

adsenina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, beginner here and I just bought a new screw mount lens hood (because everyone says it doesn't hurt to use one) for my kit lens (18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6).

Now here's the problem, when the focus is adjusted, sometimes the lens hood gets misaligned and when I have the zoom at the minimum, the lens hood could be seen in the shot and some vignetting occurs.

Now my question is, what is the real problem? Did I just attach it improperly, did I buy the wrong hood, or do I just don't know how to shoot with a lens hood?

Please help. Thank you!

If its a round hood, you have the wrong hood (too long). If its a petal hood (end is scalloped) you possibly have the hood 90 degrees off when your focusing is done. It sounds like you need the proper hood that attaches to the barrel and not the filter threads. If your hood is turning during focusing.

Welcome to the site.

And yes hoods are very good. Not just for light flares and such, but also lens protection.

If its a round hood, you have the wrong hood (too long). If its a petal hood (end is scalloped) you possibly have the hood 90 degrees off when your focusing is done. It sounds like you need the proper hood that attaches to the barrel and not the filter threads. If your hood is turning during focusing.

Welcome to the site.

And yes hoods are very good. Not just for light flares and such, but also lens protection.

I have the petal one, and thanks for the reply!
So to clarify, the hood shouldn't be moving when the camera is focusing?

I've never seen a screw on pedal hood. Pedal hoods normally attach with a ~1/8th turn into a fixed position. They mount onto a part of the lens that doesn't spin. Sometimes that is part of the front element, behind the filter threads and sometimes it is back behind the front. Pedal hoods are often specialized to a particular lens. It does sound like you have the wrong hood. There really isn't any learning curve at all if you have the right part.

What kind of lens (and camera) do you have ?

It all Depends upon the age of the lens, and hood. Some of my Nikon AF-D lenses used a screw on hood. You couldn't have the lens cap on with the hood on. And no mount for an outside lens hood.

The newer lenses have hoods that attach on the outside of the lens so you can also have the lens cap on.
And the newer, newer ones are petal shaped.

You really need the hood to be specific to the lens, buying a generic one will cause these issues if they are too long.

Welcome to the site.

It deppends on the lens as others have said. And the Hood. You have a kit lens just don't know the brand. But if the lens focuses with the last element and it turns, then your hood will turn if it's a screw on hood. Newer lenses designed this way normally has a hood that attaches to the lens barrel so it does not turn. Did you buy a hood the same brand as your lens? Or did it say something like 52mm lens hood FOR Nikon / Canon. You see this alot on Amazon and Ebay where the hood is made by a third company and just are sneaky with the "for" and have Nikon or Canon on the part.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Welcome to the site.

That depends on the design of the lens. It is clear, however, that you have the wrong hood for the lens.

The objective end of the Nikon 18-55 turns when it is focused. The lens comes with a standard, round lens hood because of that.

Yep.
One of the hallmarks of many consumer grade kit lenses is that the front lens element turns when the lens is focused.
It costs less to build a lens that does that.

You've got the wrong lens hood for that lens, for sure; if there is vignetting, the hood is not the proper one.

Welcome to the site.

are the "petals" on the top of the hood?
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back