problem with nikon d3100?

This may sound dumb, but do you have anything in front of the lens such as a lens hood or some sort of flah defuser?

ianianian said:
guyz i have a prob with my nikon d3100..it has a black image at the upper picture. Actually whenever i tried to took a picture at first, it is ok, the image is good..but when i took another picture, that is where a black image found..i dont know if the problem is in the settings..i really dont know how to reset it.. please help me guyz..thanks!

see this pic..

I was just playing with my flash and brought the shutter speed up to 1/320 and got a picture like this except the black was at the bottom. Highest shutter speed for your camera is 1/200. Was the flash off camera? My camera won't go higher then 1/200 with the pop-up or with an external flash mounted on it.[/QUOTE

but guyz! im in a auto mode..

Unfortunately the site where you put images is stripping EXIF data, so we cannot understand at which shutter speed you are taking them. If you are able to check, please report shutter speed (there should be a way even from camera).

One suggestion if you're new to the D3100 (as I am) is there are several people on youtube who have done some good tutorial videos on the camera including froknowsphoto and photoix. Also I bought a good reference/intro to digital SLR photography called Complete Digital Photography by Ben Long. It's more of a text/reference book but it has a very good discussion on F stops vs shutter speed vs ISO and how that impacts the results. It provides a good overview on many areas.

I was just playing with my flash and brought the shutter speed up to 1/320 and got a picture like this except the black was at the bottom. Highest shutter speed for your camera is 1/200. Was the flash off camera? My camera won't go higher then 1/200 with the pop-up or with an external flash mounted on it.
The lens projects the image onto the image sensor upside down.

In the case of the shutter speed being set faster than the camera x-sync speed (1/200 for the D3100):

When the black strip is across the bottom of the photo (which is at the top of the image sensor) the black strip is the rear curtain just starting to close covering part of the image sensor, and the flash is synced to fire at the instant when the front curtain is fully open.

When the black strip is across the top of the photo (which is at the bottom of the image sensor) the black strip is the front shutter curtain and the camera is set to rear curtain sync so the flash fires in the instant before the rear curtain starts to close.

The x-sync shutter speed is that shutter speed that has both shutter curtains fully open at the same time regardless if flash is used or not.

At any faster shutter speed one or both shutter curtains cover some part of the image sensor, also regardless if flash is used or not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back