Problem with second curtain flash

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by RyanLilly, Jun 10, 2008.

1. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, but I can't seen to get second curtain flash working. Using a canon 20D, does the speedlight need to be a dedicated unit? I'm using a 430ez which does not utilize E-TTL, it does however retain its use of other features. The flash still knows what lens is on the camera, the AF assist beam still works, so I was thinking that every thing probably works except metering, but I have tried setting my camera on second curtain, setting the flash on second curtain, and doing both at once, and every time it still fires the flash first curtain. Am I just out of luck till I get a new Flash, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Assuming Canon is similiar to Nikon in it's TTL req'ts, then yes, you would need a dedicated flash.

3. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just a side note:

The phrase "second curtain" is a bit of a misnomer. There is only one shutter curtain. The phrase refers to whether the flash fires when it first opens or right before it closes.

4. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    Rear curtain.

:)

5. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are incorrect. There are two curtains. Prior to the shot, the first curtain is blocking the light. When the shutter is depressed, it moves to allow the light to pass. Shortly thereafter, the second curtain follows in the same direction to block the light. When the shutter is "cocked" for the next shot, both curtains move back to their original locations.

6. Alpha

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I consider it to be a slit in a single curtain. Not two separate curtains. They certainly aren't mechanically independent of each other. If you take your camera to the shop and tell them the curtain is ripped, they don't ask "which one?" Oh well. Semantics.

7. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You can "consider it to be a slit in a single curtain" all you wish but that's incorrect. This is not a semantics issue. There ARE two separate curtains and they ARE mechanically independent except for the timing of the start of movement. For example, if you're set for a 1/60 second speed, that's there's a 1/6o second delta between the beginning of the first curtain movement and the beginning of the second curtain movement. Of course, you could also do a half-hour time exposure where the delta is a half-hour!

I never had to get a curtain repaired/replaced so I have no clue how the repair personnel would respond. It could be that they don't ask because it will be obvious as soon as they open up the camera or they don't ask becuase it makes sense to replace both even if only one is ripped.

8. Alpha

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You're right. I was wrong.

9. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some discussions in threads that ask a SIMPLE question which gets its answer all right in the first reply should really be taken to PM discussions. To bicker over "two curtains" or "slit in one and the same curtain" publicly is downright mean towards the OP. His question was an all different one!

So please...!
    PM

10. Alpha

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Relax. The discussion was totally pertinent. Why would someone asking about a particular mechanical concept not benefit from a discussion of it?

11. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :cheers:

12. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Since the OP got the answer in the first reply, he/she's not likely to continue reading the thread and therefore any subsequent discussion can't possibly be "mean" toward the OP.

Are you suggesting that there should be no public discussion regarding the operation of an SLR?