Problematic people.

...I get this crap from people who don't even take snapshots!

There is no need to understand anything about photography to have an opinion about a photograph. Most people have been using their eyes and mind to assess the world visually all of their lives. Almost everyone is an expert in seeing. People don't have to know how to create a photo to be able to decide whether it's aesthetically pleasing, or interesting or important in some other way. I have seen little proof that photographers tend to be better at judging these things any more than the general population.

There will always be annoying and invasive people in life so the question is how do you manage it without shooting up the place. I think LaFoto hit it on the head when she said that you shouldn't care what others think. I think as artists we all need a certain level of confidence to sometimes ignore the comments of others or know how to tell them to stuff it without getting all bent out of shape over it.

It's probably best for the relationship if you're just honest with her about how you feel. Put up some boundaries and avoid the resentment. You don't have to be rude about it... just a simple "I appreciate your interest but I'm not looking for advice." should get the point across.

I AM SO ANNOYED. im wondering if anyone has this same problem. i have this good friend, sure shes really nice but she honestly thinks shes a wonderful photographer etcetc BUT SHE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO CANNOT EVEN DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN A LENS AND A SHUTTER. :grumpy:

she critises my photography. even though shes never seen my photos. when she sees me taking photos, she directs me on how i should better take the shot. its so annoying seeing that she, who has never touched anything other than a point and shoot would even understand what i do and think when i take photos. so who is she to tell me how to do things.
ohyes. she claims to have had a "photography phase" back when she was 11. ie. her credentials.

i mean seriously. maybe its because shes an only child, and there was no sibling to deflate her ego. i sure know my sister did that for me.

THIS GIRL NEEDS A SISTER. PLEASE.
does anyone else have this problem? :(

my flickr for anyone who was curious :) http://flickr.com/photos/30248856@N06/

Did this friend loose the Democratic bid to be their presidential candidate this year???? :lol::lmao::lol::lmao::D:lmao::lol:.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Questions kill the expert wannabees. :D

Seriously, just start asking more and more indepth questions. "Can you explain the relationship between the aperture and the shutter? I'm having trouble with the concept. And what's this whole depth of field thing all about?" As they start realizing that you at least know enough to ask questions they can't answer, they'll lose interest. ;)

Of course, then she'll rant about you on some mall shopping forum or something. :D
LOL so perfectly true :lol:

Questions kill the expert wannabees. :D

Seriously, just start asking more and more indepth questions. "Can you explain the relationship between the aperture and the shutter? I'm having trouble with the concept. And what's this whole depth of field thing all about?" As they start realizing that you at least know enough to ask questions they can't answer, they'll lose interest. ;)

Of course, then she'll rant about you on some mall shopping forum or something. :D

... or, who knows, she might actually be a wealth of information.

In regards to your main issue, if you find her critique so disturbing why don't you just tell her something along the lines of, "While I appreciate the thought, do you mind holding back on the advice a bit?" In other words, ask her to stop, but in a civil manner.

I've actually had a coworker say one of my favorite pictures was utter crap. my reaction? "Well I guess we have different tastes.".

Just remember, be nice - and don't add more fuel to that fire.

P.S. Mind passing the popcorn, Bifurcator?

Or you could tell her to go "f" the sharp side of a knife.

That's what I would say...even if she was my friend.

Oh. I'm also criticizing your spelling.

Damn V.I. ..... She's just morphing into being a woman. She knows the answer to everything and she’s never wrong.:lol:

50two…. It’s time for you to stop hanging with her while you shoot. Shoot solo and keep the photography chats to zero. Do you have other friends?

sheesh what's wrong with women these days?

<< runs and hides into a corner.

seriously... just tell her politely. If that doesn't work.. avoid shooting with her.

... or, who knows, she might actually be a wealth of information.

ahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahhaa. godno. she is seriously the bimbo shopping mall girl

and i am VERY 'nice' about it D: when she says my pictures are utter crap i just go
awww really? damn.

sheesh what's wrong with women these days?

<< runs and hides into a corner.

seriously... just tell her politely. If that doesn't work.. avoid shooting with her.

You did not hide well enough:spank:. So how are you Usayit? What&#8217;s with the woman bashing. What&#8217;s wrong with women these days is that we are unstoppable. Whose fault is that, take a look in the mirror. It&#8217;s about time men started taking credit for the women they created.

You did not hide well enough:spank:. So how are you Usayit? What’s with the woman bashing. What’s wrong with women these days is that we are unstoppable. Whose fault is that, take a look in the mirror. It’s about time men started taking credit for the women they created.

:thumbup:

You did not hide well enough:spank:. So how are you Usayit? What&#8217;s with the woman bashing. What&#8217;s wrong with women these days is that we are unstoppable. Whose fault is that, take a look in the mirror. It&#8217;s about time men started taking credit for the women they created.

What's that smell? Look! A smoldering wad over there in the corner. OMG, it's someone's bra. :lol:

teeheehee...

hehehe... it was a bit of a joke... As much as I enjoy and support equal rights with women but there are examples of

... women that have this unpleasant need to prove themselves (all the time). For example, the woman described in the OP is one such case.
.. women that don't understand that equality means both sides; good and bad. For example, wives that believe staying at home (not working) is always an option. An option that is rarely extended to the husband. Wife staying at home==ok. Husband staying at home==irresponsible.

btw... I get along with many women (I actually have more female friends and happily married). Lucky most of them don't fall into either category... My wife and I had this same discussion. She also hates other females with the same attitude...

Male or Female, one of my pet peeves are attitudes that demand entitlement.

and if you have any objections.. remember you Yemme, said this:

Damn V.I. ..... She's just morphing into being a woman. She knows the answer to everything and she&#8217;s never wrong.:lol:

Furthering that same attitude... "Unstoppable?" more like self delusional.

Someone open a window... :lol: It's getting hot in here. :D

Most reactions

Back