Problems I am having - don't know why?

WesternGuy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In the last few days, I have been having a lot of trouble with this forum. I get a number of messages that the forum is not responding with no reason given and some that tell me it is not responding because of a long running script. Response time is measured in multiple seconds instead of tenths of seconds. I even sometimes get a short lag between when a key is pressed and when the letter appears on the screen. All in all, it is becoming very frustrating. I do not seem to have similar problems with other web sites, so I am wondering what is happening. Any insight that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated. Is there something I need to check. I am running Win 8.1 Pro and IE 11 Thanks.

WesternGuy

Have you tried clearing your browser cache? I'd recommend you start there, clear the cache, shutdown the browser completely and reopen it, then the forum.

I tried this and it does not seemed to have worked. While trying to respond to your response, I got the "long running script" message and the one that told me the forum was not responding - it took me at least 30-40 seconds to get a response that previously to what ever is going on would have only taken less than 5 seconds. Looks like there may be more to it than that?

WesternGuy

I tried this and it does not seemed to have worked. While trying to respond to your response, I got the "long running script" message and the one that told me the forum was not responding - it took me at least 30-40 seconds to get a response that previously to what ever is going on would have only taken less than 5 seconds. Looks like there may be more to it than that?

WesternGuy

Could be.. first thing I'd probably try is another browser of some sort, chrome, firefox, etc - if they don't have any problems then you've at least narrowed it down to a problem with IE of some sort and ruled out most other problems such as something with the network, etc.

I'd also recommend you schedule a disk check - sometimes windows paging file can cause some really strange problems if it becomes corrupted.

Dump IE.
I did, a couple of years ago.
I've been using Chrome ever since and it's lots, way lots, better.

But even with Chrome I clear all my browser caches several times a day.
I also clear out Flash Player caches, the Java cache, and get rid of temp Internet files and anything I have moved to the Recycle Bin.

I highly recommend use of the Blur and Disconnect Google browser extensions.

Dump IE.
I did, a couple of years ago.
I've been using Chrome ever since and it's lots, way lots, better.

But even with Chrome I clear all my browser caches several times a day.
I also clear out Flash Player caches, the Java cache, and get rid of temp Internet files and anything I have moved to the Recycle Bin.

I highly recommend use of the Blur and Disconnect Google browser extensions.

Keith, I have never used Chrome. I have tried Firefox, but I didn't like the way it "handles/displays" my Favorites. In IE, I have my Favorites displayed in a separate panel on the left side of my screen and I can scroll through them to find what I want. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that in Firefox, or even if Firefox will do that sort of thing. Chrome, well you have piqued my interest, so I will have a look at it.

I am curious how/why you clear your caches "several times a day". This seems like a lot of work, unless you are doing a lot of web "work". Blur and Disconnect extensions - I have never heard of these, but then I am not really that techie as I wouldn't even know to look for something like Google extensions. I will check them out, so thanks for bringing them to my attention. :thumbyo:

WesternGuy

Data in the caches, cookies and temporary Internet files in particular, is just junk that slows down my CPU.
A side benefit is a slight increase in privacy.

At any rate I do routine maintenance to keep my computer performing at it's best. From deleting old no longer used files and applications to opening the case and cleaning out the dust that collects on the CPU heat sink so my CPU operating temperature stays in spec.

I use CCleaner.
I have CCleaner set up to clear it all when I close Chrome.
That takes about 45 seconds and I start Chrome back up.

Not using CClearner - I just click on the Customize and Control menu icon in the upper right corner, click > History> Clear Browsing Data, and I have already selected every option Chrome provides in the next pop-up box:
• Browsing History
• Download history
• Cookies and other site and plug-in data
• Cached Images and Files
• Passwords
• Autofill form data
• Hosted App data.

I imported my IE Favorites/Bookmarks to Chrome and with Chrome the bookmarks list drops down on the right side of my display.
You can do like I did and have both browsers on your computer so you can transition to using Chrome over time instead of 'cold turkey'.

Keith, thanks for sharing your process. It looks like I have some studying to do. :biggrin-93:

WesternGuy

Yup that's the best solution.
Easier said than done. I am answering this in Chrome and it isn't any better than IE in terms of response. In fact, I can type a letter and count to 2 or 3 sometimes before it shows up in the posting. This is not good.

I also do not like the way that Chrome and Firefox display my Favourites, or at least, I do not understand how they are displaying them. In IE, I had them displayed in a vertical panel on the left side of the IE display. I was also able to open 7 pages up front when IE was opened - local front page, 4 Google pages, mail page and business page all in separate tabs along the top. I have been doing this for years, since IE 9, and have never ever had any problem with this aspect of IE. It basically looks like this - well, I guess you won't be able to see, because I do not seem to be able to insert a Windows Snip (jpg file) here. With IE, I could just cut and paste. Regardless, choice of browser does not seem to be making a difference, at least for Chrome. I will see how Fire Fox works in another posting.

WesternGuy

Well, this response is coming from the Firefox browser. It is working quite well, in terms of response, but it looks like it would take me quite a while to get it configured the way I had IE, if that is even possible.

I don't think the question should be whether or not to "dump IE", but why is something that was working fine go "haywire" all of a sudden - one day it was working like it had for years with IE9, IE 10 and IE11 and then the next minute it wasn't. If IE is the culprit, and I am not convinced it is, then why am I not having trouble with other web sites - why just this one?

WesternGuy

Since the 90s I have heard people say dump [insert trending reviled browser name here] to solve a host of problems. I have experienced similar problems @WesternGuy has mentioned and I have used the latest versions of Firefox, Opera, Chrome and IE. The only real reason to drop a browser is because of a security issue (almost always temporary) or because you don't like it. I have been telling people to use the browser they like since the days I was using Netscape.

I suspect the problem I am having is the server TPF uses is running a cron job that either utilizes too many resources, or is stalling the database so it can do a backup. I say that because the problem I experience usually happens only at a specific time late at night. There is also the possibility that one of the plugins TPF uses to enhance the forum software is acting up. I won't go into detail about it. but will attribute it to any plugin offered by Brivium (the forum webmaster should look into the issues concerning that resource, discussed at length on at least 2 popular webmaster forums).

There are other possibilities too, but probably NOT attributed to anyone's choice of browser. Although it may be true that page load speeds might be a few milliseconds faster on one browser or another, all the current popular browsers are perfectly capable of rendering pages of this website (and most others) at acceptably fast rates. If ALL websites you encounter have a similar problem, then you prob'ly have a connection problem or your hard drive is filling up or the settings for your browser are too ambitious for the power of your computer. You should also check your browser plugins - disable all of them, then re-enable one at a time until you experience the problem or know that none of them are the problem.

Lastly, do regular maintenance on your computer at least once a week. Check for malware and viruses using a minimum of 2 different programs (one week use x-program, the next week use another program). If you use hard drives (as opposed to Solid State Drives - SSDs), defrag and fix errors about once a month. Although many people do, I have always recommended NOT using a registry cleaner. It's not necessary and could be harmful. And manually check for updates once a week - I never let Microsoft do automatic updates, ever. And always let your browser update when it asks.

These are just my opinions based on 23 years of computing.

Jim
PS: I just received a 500 Internal Server Error when trying to post this message. Took several minutes before a refresh brought the page back.

Netscape. Now that's a blast from the past.

about-nscp-anim.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back