Problems loading the reel

Helens on the button, I only had 2 reels, with half a dozen films to develope, I wanna get motoring ya know...production line.
Wet reels and dry film is suicidal....I only warped it slightly but it was enough for me to not even bother trying to use it again, lifes too short.
anyway, Nylon.......its really......skiddy:thumbup:

*edit*..oh, after reading that again, I do believe ilyfel's cracking t'funnay....

I R serious Joxby
an dis is a seerious fred

:lmao:
huh?

I vote plastic, steel is traditional.

I'm reminded of what Winston Churchill had to say about tradition.

He banned rum in the navy, and all the admirals got upset. "Tradition!" they howled.

"Tradition?", he snorted, "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash!"

For large volume work steel has big practical advantages and no disadvantages. It's not tradition, it's practicality.

Best,
Helen

For large volume work steel has big practical advantages and no disadvantages. It's not tradition, it's practicality.

Best,
Helen

Not to mention if you ever use medium format film. I tried loading some on an expandable plastic reel and ended up giving up. Figured it might happen, so I had the steel reel and tank handy.

I also like the idea that steel helps hold temperature steady during development, easy to clean up, fast to dry and is very durable. I saw a lot of beginning photo students develop slight nicks in their plastic reels, which subsequently made loading film a real bear.

I've still got a handful of plastic tanks and reels, but doubt they'll ever see much use.

Jeff

Do one in the light and get a feel for it. Then try in the dark again.

I think if you keep trying, with a practice strip of film, in the dark, and then look in the light, you'll eventually get the feel for it, and you won't have problems after that. I'm not saying you won't get a "kiss mark" now and then, but once you get the feel of it down, you'll have it.

Are you pinching the sides of the film and then allowing it to naturally expand as it goes into the spaces?

I used to feel the film with my index finger in the center, as I pinched it slightly, with my thumb and middle finger, while checking now and them with my left thumb.

It sounds from what you described, that you are wrapping it too tight, most of the time. The film finds it's natural position as you turn the reel. You don't have to force it. Be gentle.

As you hold the film with your right hand and turn the reel with your left, it takes the film in, and it naturally finds the right place. If you are trying to fit it in, or push it into place, it's not going to work. Hardest part is the first couple of turns, getting it started tracking, where it's a smaller diameter, and less often the last couple turns.

Get the lead end stuck into the center of the reel, or even hooked, so it has an firm anchor in the center. Let the film pull itself into the reel. Keep checking after each turn or two. I have many rolls of film with the end having a hole, where I hooked it. That's why the center of the nikor reels has that sharp point. (at least they used to? It's been awhile) There's nothing you are losing on that half inch at the end.

If the lead end isn't tight, the film will slip and this will make it much harder to load.

35mm is easiest. I had more trouble with 120, because it flexed or twisted and wanted to jump the grooves.

Hope something in this, makes a difference and helps.

Like I started out writing. Once you get it, threading film onto the reel will be much more consistent. You just need to get the feel.

Honest, I have one old Ansco plastic reel and it was always more trouble because the film stuck and bunched up. Could be that I was just doing it wrong. :wink:

I hate to ask the obvious, but you are loading the film with the open end of the spiral face right, and turning the reel counter clockwise? If not, it will never work.

Plastic reels all the way. Make sure you cut the end of the film to an arrow when you take it out of the canister too.. that usually helps feed it in the
slots initially....

Hi, haven't been on for a while, but here goes. I initially started processing film back about 1960 and have literally loaded thousands of rolls of film. The steel reels are definitely the best, but there is a learning curve. They are more sturdy, but if dropped can twist outof shape. They are so much faster to load than plastic once you get the hang of them. They can be dried quicker and will last indefinitely. Philip.

I hate to ask the obvious, but you are loading the film with the open end of the spiral face right, and turning the reel counter clockwise? If not, it will never work.

Yes, I am. I've been able to get it in perfectly in the light now. Still working on doing it in the dark. I havent been cutting the end into a point. I'll have to try that. You said something about pinching it and then allowing it to expand into its slot. I have not done anything resembling this. I just start wrapping it around and around holding it just taut enough so that it slips into place at the right groove or at least trying to. Could that be my problem?

Not to mention if you ever use medium format film. I tried loading some on an expandable plastic reel and ended up giving up. Figured it might happen, so I had the steel reel and tank handy.

I had the same problem with 120 film on an expandable plastic reel! I didn't have the steel reel ready, though, so I just scrapped the film out of frustration. I guess I'll have to get some steel reels, even though I had some awful experiences with them in high school. Any idea why it's easier to load 120 film on steel reels?

They're much harder to load then 35, and I usually have a tough time, but I'll eventually get it.

my photog prof always recommended plastic reels as well...

Most reactions

Back