Problems scanning negatives

yellowjeep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
nickginther.imagekind.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not sure where to put this, feel free to move it.

First problem:
So I finally figured out where my schools scanners are and decided to scan a few... Its a Nikon Coolscan 5 hooked up to an older Mac. Apart from being really dusty (I cleaned my film but the adapter kept getting more dust on it:grumpy:) and sloooooooooooow, everything seemed to be doing ok. I scanned them at 3900dpi. The scans looked really clear and the Digital ICE seemed to have done a really good job on the dust and scratches. The files were saved by default as TIFFs but when I opened them on that Mac they look super grainy and not anywhere near as clear as the scan before I saved it. I burned those on a disc so I could post them here to ask about the grain and noise, which leads me to
Problem 2
I can not open the TIFFs in Lightroom or in Paintshop Pro. I was going to try and fix (or at least crop) them before posting or see if there was any difference. I tried saving them in Paint as jpegs but when I try to open them in LR or PSP I still get nothing.

I think the issue with not being able to open them on my Vista laptop is a cross platforming issue. I think need to set permissions diffently. What do you all think? And what can I do to boost the quality of the scans?

Here are the a few of the TIFFs, uncropped and unedited. Click for the larger version

Most reactions

Back