Problems with d90 mount?

Live_free

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How big of a lens can I safely put on my D90?

You can put any lens you want on it. Its just the support issue you are probably concerned about.

As long as your not a fool with the lens it shouldn't do any harm.

You can put any lens you want on it. Its just the support issue you are probably concerned about.

As long as your not a fool with the lens it shouldn't do any harm.

Seen a bunch of people talking of how you shouldn't put big lenses on it. Even one post of a guys whos mount got ripped out.

Seen a bunch of people talking of how you shouldn't put big lenses on it. Even one post of a guys whos mount got ripped out.

Sounds like user error.

You can safely put any size lens on it, there are no size limitations. When large lenses are attached it should be held/supported by the lens not the body. But that goes with any body, not just the D90.

I would think that you could put any size you want too.

Any size you want. Just use some common sense don't wing it around by the body or anything like that and you should be good. My 70-200 2.8 definitely isn't a problem :lol:

Any lens. I think some ppl are having issues because they arent paying proper attention and being careful. The d90 has a plastic body, while most others of that range and better are made of metal. I believe the issue you are referring to is when the lens mount completely came off of the camera. So, just be careful.

You can put any lens size on...but a vast majority of lenses over around 1lb come with their own tripod mounts (or they at least have them available...but they should come free).

Wither larger lenses, the mount is on the lens itself, not the camera. This is because many of the lenses end up weighing more than the camera.

Like said above, you can put any lens on it. Any lens that would be heavy enough to break the mount will have a tripod mount that you should be using when on a tripod, and you should be holding the lens more than the body when it's not on the tripod. The d90 body weighs much less than the d300 so it's mount doesn't need to support as much weight (that is the weight of the camera body) when it's mounted to a heavy lens. Don't worry about the mount breaking. If it does, Nikon *should* be replacing it unless you are an idiot who mounts the body on a tripod with a 5 pound telephoto lens.

I've used lenses up to seven pounds on multiple F-mount cameras, including the Fuji S2 Pro, which was built around the low-rent Nikon N80 body. No problems,ever. An experienced photographer will tell you that the lens must be supported, and not the body, when using big, heavy lenses like 300/2.8 or 200/2 or 400mm,etc,etc. I've read a few posts (literally, a few) talking about opening a camera bag and finding a broken mount with a big,heavy lens ripped off of a D90--but to me, that sounds like improper handling caused the problem--and perhaps over more than one single session. For over 30 years, heavy Nikkor lenses have had strap lugs on the lens barrel itself; with a 300/2.8, one uses the strap on the lens, not the camera. I don't think there's any real danger of a 70-200/2.8 or a 300/4 on any Nikon body,sold at any price. The danger I think comes from the 7 to 13 pound lenses when used *improperly* by rookies or by the totally unwitting.

Most reactions

Back