Problems with motivation, inspiration and artistic self-esteem

I think you should try using your non-dominant eyeball to compose all your photographs for the next six weeks or so. I looked through your nature photographs. Example after example of technically very well-done and fairly straightforward renderings of natural world scenes. But all from about the same distance,and with a very similar lens perspective. You said you wanted a challenge,and I'm suggesting that you frame,compose,and shoot ALL your photographs with your non-dominant eye for six weeks. It's a much bigger challenge than it might first appear.

All artists hit the wall at some point. Even authors can suffer from writer's block from time to time. For most of us, creativity is something we just conjure up on demand. We're always being asked by other people how something looks because we've been noted as having a "natural eye" or insert another cliche *here*. Personally, I think you have put undue pressure on yourself with the idea of going commercial and it's choking your creativity.

You can't force yourself to be inspired, it's something that happens when the mood and conditions are right. I've seen your work and you definitely have talent. But I think that your self-doubt over whether you're good enough to turn pro and make a living doing this has clouded your vision.

I also agree with Derrel. It seems that you have settled into a nice little comfort zone and routine that produces good results for you. While this can be a good thing in that it gives you a particular style, it's also bad because now you're getting bored. Change your routine.

i agree with the other posters in joining an extension photography class through an art school will help boost you to the next level and get you motivated again. Getting a better camera will be fun for about 10 minutes. But at the end of the day though, you are left with the question of, "Why am I taking this picture?" "What am I trying to say?" Photographs need to move beyond 'I think this is pretty' to really impact the viewer and mean something to the artmaker.

This is the only artistic medium where I see the 'art' aspect so ubiquitously ignored. The art side is the tough part and has been a struggle since humans have been drawing deers in the dirt with a stick. If you can get into a photo classroom setting, you will benefit from getting feedback from peers who are into as photography as much as you are, and an instructor who is hopefully insightful. Plus you can learn from others successes and mistakes. You can internalize other people's ways of seeing by examining their work and hearing them talk about their intentions. In class you can also learn about great photographers. Almost every great artist has sat on the shoulders of giants in order to grow. To be honest, I've never gotten a good artistic critique on any of the four or five forums I am active on. But I've gotten spectacular technical help with gear or post-processing. I would reconsider your 'loner' status and get immerse yourself in an artistic environment. I think you'd love it. Photography is a wolf in sheeps clothing--it is painting in the clothing of a high tech recording instrument, if you know what I mean.

Good luck.

I know the feeling... this is why I pursue multiple creative forms of expression (photography, painting, sculpture, animation)--when I'm not "feeling" one I just do another one. The trick is to avoid that "stuck" feeling at all costs.

So my advice is to take up something else creative.

OK, I think I've narrowed it down to a few things:

1. It's that really ugly time of year when the snow is only just starting to melt. The snow is all crusty and full of dirt. Nothing is pretty right now.

2. I'm stretching the limits of what I can shoot in this little town where I live and not much ever happens here for me to shoot. I need to start traveling, but I'm limited in that respect due to personal and medical reasons.

3. "Just for fun" doesn't seem to be a good-enough reason for me, anymore. This is something that's really plagued me about everything I do. I feel like there needs to be more of reason than "just because".

Fortunately, there are a number of concerts coming up this month that I can use to try and get back up to my "A" game.

I think you should try using your non-dominant eyeball to compose all your photographs for the next six weeks or so.
Interesting idea.

I looked through your nature photographs. Example after example of technically very well-done and fairly straightforward renderings of natural world scenes. But all from about the same distance,and with a very similar lens perspective.
Fair enough, but you try living in the prairies ;)

Last edited:
Ah ha! I now see the problem. Taking photos "just because" is no way to go if you want to further your photography.

Does not matter if you are in your backyard or Kenya National Park. Each photo that you take needs to have your thoughts behind it. Your photos have style. Develop that style and your work will go further. Evoke an emotion or feeling as opposed to taking a photo. Of course that is a lot easier said then done, but you must keep it in mind always.

Also know that art directors and editors look for personal style more then anything. Good photographers are easy to come by. Outstanding photographers put their heart and soul into their work.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back