Problems with Nikon D 80

Forest

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need HELP !!

I resently purchased a new Nikon D 80 to replace a D 70. I want to get into macro and thought an up grade from 6.1 MP to 10.2MP would be a big help.
I immediately encountered a problem with soft focus, very soft focus. I found the D 70 produced images that were sharper and I could enlarge bigger. I sent the camera to Nikon for repair. Nikon checked out the camera six different ways and sent it back. No improvement !! I have tried all image sizes, VR lenses, 4 different lenses, set the camera to "sharpest Image" still no significant improvement. Did Nikon Service Department miss something? or am I missing something. This is one heck of a disappointment.

Anyone got any advise or answers?

Thanks, Forest

Welcome to the forum.

Can you show us an example?
If the shots are sharper on the D70, with the same lenses...then it must be an an issue with the camera. It could be as simple as a weird setting...or an actual physical problem. If Nikon tech guys couldn't figure it out...then I don't know what to say. Maybe try to return it and get a replacement model.

Thanks, Big Mike for the quick reply. I will try to get an example posted. I'm new to this and may take a bit to learn.

I have wondered if I could get Nikon to replace the camera, what do you think the chances are? I even tought of going to the D200, I desperate !

Where did you buy it from? Maybe you can exchange it with the retailer...if you can show them the problem...then they can deal with Nikon.

I don't know all that much about Nikon...but I've heard that the cheaper D50 is actually very comparable to the D80...that might be a good option, if you do switch, that will save you some money. But I really don't think it's a problem with the D80 model...maybe just your camera, unfortunately.

I purchased it from 17th Street Photo in early October. They have been pretty good to me in the past, but I never had to exchange anything.

If you are shooting JPEG, I wonder if the difference could be as simple as the way sharpening is set up in the two cameras. I've found that the RAW images are not very sharp and really need some help from photoshop. I shoot JPEG often in the D50 and get sharper results but that is because I have set the sharpening at maximum on that camera. The D80 is always used in RAW mode. While RAW images are easy enough to sharpen up, they sure need it. At least it is something that is easy to check. Good luck.

There are custom settings in the shooting menu for sharpness - you might also check those and make sure you haven't set them to something funny.

How close are you looking at the pictures? Looking at them at 100% is examining them MUCH closer than any film or print would be and will often show insignificant flaws. Do remember that the 10.2MP camera will also be more revealing of any flaws in your lenses. Which lenses are you using?

Most reactions

Back