Problems

nitefly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rawmusicians.com
Either I am a total n00b, or you will be able to help!

I finally got my Nikon D50! :wink: I attatch my lens, put in my SD card and turn the camera on. I look through my viewfinder and can see everything ok, however the control panel is saying that the f number is "E", any idea what this means?

I press the shutter release button half way, then the other half like it says in the manual however i cant here the shutter at all and the display screen doesnt show anything! I try to view my photos and it says can not use SD card. I tried formatting the card but no luck.. If anyone can help i will be really greatful! I really just wanna get out and shoot! :x

Many thanks,

Nath

What lens? Does it have an aperture ring? If so, try locking it at the largest f number.

markc said:
You should be able to change it with controls on the camera body. The ring is for use on a manual camera body.

Oh wow I am such a n00b.. Thankyou all. :wink: One day i will be good, i swear it... If im not a decent photography by the time of the meetup then i will allow you all to kick me where it hurts most.. ;)

Still can't store images? Did you format the SD card in the camera or on a computer. It's best to format in the camera. Other than that I guess I don't know, maybe a bad SD card? Does your computer see the SD card at all? I'm a little surprised the camera will even take the shot if it can't see a working SD card in place. Never tried it so I don't know for sure.

This is a total shot in the dark, but when my film camera says "E," that means I have it manually set to over or under-compensate the exposure.

MaxBloom said:
This is a total shot in the dark, but when my film camera says "E," that means I have it manually set to over or under-compensate the exposure.

Sounds like a good guess to me, if you've got it in Shutter Priority mode, then the aperture would most likely go to E if it can't stop open enough to get an exposure, it would also then probably not let you take a picture.

Rob

Rob said:
Sounds like a good guess to me, if you've got it in Shutter Priority mode, then the aperture would most likely go to E if it can't stop open enough to get an exposure, it would also then probably not let you take a picture.

Rob

Thankyou all! At the moment I am usin a 32mb card from my old phone, even though i have a 512mb that won't work. I'm taking loads of pictures round the house and stuff getting to know my camera and I will be going out shooting some time this week hopefully!

Here's Nikon's list of approved memory cards from their website:

SanDisk 64/128/256/256 Ultra II/512/ MB, 1GB
Panasonic 64/128/256/512/ MB, 1GB
Toshiba 64/128/256/512/ MB
Other brands and capacities of cards may work, but Nikon cannot guarantee their operation.
Check with the manufacturer of the third-party card for compatibility information.
Nikon recommends keeping one of the approved cards available for troubleshooting.
Multi Media cards (MMC) are not recommended and should not be used

I would also try putting the card into a card reader and see if you can format and access it from the PC. If not, it's bad.
If it's OK on the PC, it might be that the format is wrong, make sure you format in the camera. I'd probably just try to return the
card to the place you bought it and get it replaced. Make sure the card you get is on the list above, another brand will probably
work, but since you are having problems I'd stick to the approved list.

dsp921 said:
Here's Nikon's list of approved memory cards from their website:

SanDisk 64/128/256/256 Ultra II/512/ MB, 1GB
Panasonic 64/128/256/512/ MB, 1GB
Toshiba 64/128/256/512/ MB
Other brands and capacities of cards may work, but Nikon cannot guarantee their operation.
Check with the manufacturer of the third-party card for compatibility information.
Nikon recommends keeping one of the approved cards available for troubleshooting.
Multi Media cards (MMC) are not recommended and should not be used

I would also try putting the card into a card reader and see if you can format and access it from the PC. If not, it's bad.
If it's OK on the PC, it might be that the format is wrong, make sure you format in the camera. I'd probably just try to return the
card to the place you bought it and get it replaced. Make sure the card you get is on the list above, another brand will probably
work, but since you are having problems I'd stick to the approved list.

Many thanks for that. I got the card given to me so it doesn't really matter about taking it back, I will just have to buy one! More money :x

Most reactions

Back