1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

Process for creating the image, "Unto a Place I Walk"

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by ceeboy14, Jan 8, 2013.

1. ceeboy14

ceeboy14 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This is a simple but exceedingly tedious process for getting everything out of a B&W image you ever wanted, and then some. I learned what I know of the process from David Byrne, a British photographer who's won every major salon exhibition in Europe Awards | David Byrne I am nowhere near where David is in using this process and perhaps in three or four years I can at least get close. There are ten slides in the demonstration.

1. The original image post RAW editing:

$DBP 1 original image.jpg

2. A Black and Wite Layer Adjustment with the "Blue" slider pushed all the way to the left.

$DBP 2 B&W adj blue slider left.jpg

3. A Contrast Layer at 80%

$DBP 3 Contrast layer at 80.jpg

4. Exposure Layer Adjustment at minus 2.42 (I've named this layer - "Darks.")

$DBP 4 Exposure Layer 1 - darks at -242.jpg

5. Darks Layer inverted (Control I)

$DBP 5 Exposure layer 1 inverted.jpg

6. Second Exposure Layer Adjustment - named "Lights" at 88%

$DBP 6 exposure layer 2 - lights at 88.jpg

7. Lights layer inverted (Control I)

$DBP 7 Exposure layer 2 inverted.jpg

8. Using the masks on the darks and lights layers, set a brush for 10%, soft, and set your color as white as you will be brushig in and not out, color.

$DBP 8 Layer brush set to 10% mask color to white.jpg

9. and 10. are details from selected parts of the image. In these, I have just barely scratched the surface of where I eventually went with the image.

$DBP 9 Detail of painting in darks and lights top middle.jpg

$DBP 10 detail of painting in darks and lights bottom middle right.jpg

Good Luck! I think the end results are well worth the effort but this is not a process you can complete in 20 or thirty minutes of PP. I spent close to 16 hours on this image which can be seen in the B&W gallery..

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. timor

timor Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Six hours is still nothing, I would say you are fast. To create good FB print (the way I want) takes longer. Plus costs money.

3. ceeboy14

ceeboy14 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Boo boo I repaired. 16 hours was the time spent and it was my first effort. The image, Last Bastion was several days in the making. I have Jone Cone print most of my fine B&W work. Exquisite printing but pricey.

4. timor

timor Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Quality costs money.

5. PhillipM

PhillipM TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I make money by shooting.

Not from behind a PC

6. ceeboy14

ceeboy14 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I quit working...it was too much work. I shoot for pleasure and on occasion I enter a show or put work in a gallery and make some sales. I don't need to make any more money. I have no debts; I have few needs. Anyway, my tax guy hates it when I screw up the break margin. :wink: