Processing Movie Film

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If this is not a good place to ask this, forgive me - I could not find a good movie film forum.

Can anyone direct me to a web-site of a book or something that will enlighten me as to how movie film is processed (developed). I am talking about the 35mm film that is used to shoot movies. I can hardly imagine a film maker exposing thousands of feet of film and then running it through developer in the dark. However, I can imagine a machine that would pull the reel through a developer bath at a specific speed and then the fixer and so on. I would like to get some technical information about this.

It’s likely run thru some high-end dip tank system. Cannot recall the process number for color off top of my head. But the same 35-mm film is sold and process by Dale Labs and the out of business Seattle Film Works. For B&W Kodak make a reverse process developer for Tax-100. I have seem it for sell at Freestyle & B&H. Foma also has a positive B&W process it available at J and C Photo

Jeff, thanks! I'm not really looking for movie film to use. I just want to understand the process. I was thinking, what if there is a mistake in the development process! I mean some shots are irreplacable.!

Sounds like you are listing sources for film that allows for a positive negative. Is that like slide film?

I’m not familiar with the details of the actual process. But I think that they would use a dip-tank over roller feed to avoided scratches but maybe not, I’ve been wrong before. Minor imperfections are hide by the frame feed.

As for processing mistake I sure they could happen but doubt they do mush with newer automated machine. They keep everything running to spec.

Yep B&W slides or movies, never seen any from Fuji but I sure they make one too. Also there is no such thing as a positive negative. It’s either a positive (slide) or negative but not both.

Most reactions

Back