Processing Techniques

delpi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, do you have any video suggestions on youtube which you think are good to learn post processing techniques?

I also would like to learn a particular technique wherein the picture appears to be a little bit faded but still looks dramatic.

Thank you very much in advance.

There are so many videos about every aspect of Photoshop on YouTube you can watch them for days. Some are actually pretty well done while others are weak, to be charitable.
Start with focusing on layers.

See that he only used samsung note 4 to take this picture but it is noticeable that an edit was done. This is the effect I mostly see in pictures and I am in love with this. How do I achieve this effect?
Sample post.jpg

See that he only used samsung note 4 to take this picture but it is noticeable that an edit was done. This is the effect I mostly see in pictures and I am in love with this. How do I achieve this effect?View attachment 122052

You can start by analyzing this photo. Here's some stats:

analyze.jpg

The histogram for the photo shows the data shifted left -- photo is dark overall. The histogram also shows the tonal range of the data is compressed -- it does not extend over the full range from corner to corner. There is no white in the photo. There is in fact nothing remotely close to white in the photo (except the lettering). So the photo is very flat and lacks normal contrast.

The color in the photo is very far away from normal or accurate (see sky color samples above). As a further complication the color shifts in the photo do not appear even in a specific direction. The sky is very green and yet that same green tint does not show in the clouds which in fact have a slight red shift. So a fair assumption that editing was done. It looks a lot like one of the "vintage" type filters (Instagram, VSCO) that attempt to make a photo look like an old film photo would look if it was poorly stored and badly faded.

Joe

it's called Colour Grading. I'm still working on trying to teach myself this technique.
Easy to do; hard to do well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back