Tighearnach

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

I am just wondering if it is a big no no to be using a laptop (and a cheap one at that) to be processing your photos. Its all ive got however I do notice that the image changes dramatically as you move the screen even just a slight bit.

Also does calibrating your screen also apply to a Laptop and is it done in the same way?

Thanks for any help
T

Well, what specifically are you using for a laptop, and what are your specs? For the record, I do all of my editing on my Lenovo Thinkpad.

Your laptop needs to meet the software specs of whatever apps you are going to use for editing. If it runs it, then it will work. Naturally the slower the processor is, the longer it is going to take to handle it. And your graphics adapter/card will determine how quickly your screen will refresh.

The calibration between ~any~ 2 notebooks will vary greatly. You know about the angle changing the image's appearance, that's just for starters. If you could get your notebook calibrated, and sit in the exact same position, yeah, you could use it. Personally, I'd recommend hooking a decent external LCD monitor to it.

I work off both a laptop and a desktop, both work fine but I do prefer the desktop. Both are equally as fast with good grpahics cards, RAM, and processor, however the screen on the laptop needs to be tilted jsut right to see well because of the backlighting power level is lower on it.

Yes my laptop is crappy and old and it runs Elements albeit very slowly. My question i suppose is more about the screen. Are there laptops that contain better quality screens that help with more accurate processing or is the tilt of the screen as equallly a big issue with all makes and types of laptops?

While Im not a photogrpahy expert by any means, I am fairly strong in IT and electronical engineering. Laptop screens are not nearly as well designed as an external monitor, mainly because they are designed to operate of a DC battery. Not sure if any laptop can give you the full quality of an external monitor, but also not sure if the difference is significant enough to invest more money in a higher end laptop. I would recommend getting an external monitor, perhaps used if you are a serious photographer or rely heavily upon the resolution/contrast of the screen.

No matter how cheap OR expensive a screen is, to be able to edit correctly it needs to be calibrated. I can't use my laptop (don't like it) for editing purposes. I have a calibrated screen which makes the images look fine but when used to a dual calibrated display the small screen and lack of control with the mouse makes it tough!

In regards to the above; if one knows how to read a historgram - you can edit photos on a screen that only outputs in black and white. Photoshop is "colorblind" in a sense. It takes all of its cues from the numbers embedded in the document it is opening. As such, it also allows you to see just how it is interpreting those numbers and allows you to adjust accordingly. Would I work on a mono-chromatic monitor - hell no. Just saying it can be d one.

I second a Thinkpad if you want to use a laptop for on the go editing. Only thing is you'll have to spring if you want CS4's built in anti-aliasing software that takes advantage of your computers dedicated video card.

Someone should mention that a calibrating a display isn't about correcting or adjusting just the display but the also the lighting conditions in which the display is located in.

In general, laptop displays are not ideal.

I use my laptop exclusively -- I don't have a desktop machine. On the other hand, I have an outboard Dell 2209WA IPS monitor connected to it (and calibrated with a Spyder 3)

Yeah, it's not a hardware issue if you're remotely modern... but an external monitor is the key.

ok...just a thought from a beginner here...might be a totally bad idea...what if I output from my laptop to a tv? Actually a Sony 48" rear projection 10 year old tv? Okay...Fire away as to why this is a bad idea...I can take it! LOL!

Bad idea. Very low resolution (~700x480). There's also very limited ability to calibrate a TV like this to the correct setting. If it were a modern LCD, I'd say sure... go ahead. I use a 1080p (1920x1080) 42" LCD as my main monitor, and after calibration, it's great. But, an older TV... not so much.

you prob have one of those laptops w/ the really crappy screens... the better ones are brighter and have much better angle of view or whatever they call it...

Most reactions

Back