Processing Verichrome Pan film

OldManJim

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently acquired a Kodak Brownie Flash camera (vintage 1950s?) and found it had a roll of Verichrome Pan in it with 8 exposure made.

I'd like to process this film and need some advice. I'll be using a Jobo with Sprint developer (a D-76 clone) and I'd like to know if I should make any adjustments to the developing time at 20C because of the age of the film?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I do many of those rolls at work. It's a gamble no matter how you develop it. Kodak X-Tol at 1:1 will help a little with the base fog.

Thanks for the replies. I agree it's a crap shoot and I may not get anything useful, but I figure it's worth a try - who knows, they might be interesting.

I would do an hour stand development with a very dilute developer. Stand development will cope with partial loss of latent image well. I use Rodinol 1:50 for this but any really dilute developer should work.

Well, just to update everyone, I processed the film using a dilute developer noted above, there were 6 images? on the roll, but all were badly focused and very blurred. The background fog was high, as expected, but I think the major problem was that the original shooter wasn't very steady or the subjects were in very low light. All in all, an interesting exercise, but nothing much came of it.

Win some, lose some.....

Ha. All the same I got with my attempts to develop old found in Brownies film. Brownie type cameras need at least 160 foot-candles with iso 100 for usable exposure and static subject.
Nevertheless good attempt.

Sometimes it can work out fine but most are like you described, badly shot in the first place.

This reminds me of a customer in the late 90's that came in to the lab I worked at with a roll he found in his footlocker from WWII. I processed the film and there were images of him and his buddy's in France. Some were still alive and some never made it back home. He cried for being happy and sad at the same time. I printed a bunch of 8x10s so he could send them to his surviving buddy's.

A number of years ago, my son & I had a business processing B&W & E-6 film for a local camera store. (All of this was pre-digital.)

A customer came in one day with a German camera he bought at a garage sale. It had a roll of film in it and he wanted to see if we could develop it. Long story short, it turned out to have close up images of Herman Goering, Adolph Hitler, Rudolph Hess and other Nazi bigwigs on it, attending a parade in Berlin, pre WWII. Apparently the original owner was also a Nazi big wig, since most of the photos looked to have been taken from the reviewing stand.

We made a bunch of 5X7 and 8X10 prints for him. The film was in amazing condition with almost no fog. As near as he could learn, the camera was a "bring back" by a GI who kept it in a trunk in a basement.

After the veteran passed, the family decided to clear out "pop-pop's old military junk" at the garage sale. I don't know if the customer ever let them know what treasure they sold for a song.

Ever since then, I've looked very closely at every garage sale camera I could, but never found anything remotely close to this. The Kodak Brownie I posted about was the only one I found with film in it and that was a bust! Still, hope springs eternal......

I wish I could remember how many found rolls I have developed in the last 35 years....? I've have customers that still bring in 15 sometimes over 25 rolls of found film....how can you find so many rolls...LOL

I personally have a nice collection of found in camera bought or gifted rolls of film that I developed and assume I own the photos to do what I wish.

I personally have a nice collection of found in camera bought or gifted rolls of film that I developed and assume I own the photos to do what I wish.
you certainly do not own the copyright - neither by buying the camera nor by developing the film.

An interesting legal question. Does copyright law apply to a latent image on undeveloped film whose ownership has been relinquished before it was developed into a visible image?

In other words, is an invisible latent image considered by law to be a photograph and thus protected by copyright?

I wonder if there are legal precedents on this point.

Can you share a quote from the reference you found on this point?

An interesting legal question. Does copyright law apply to a latent image on undeveloped film whose ownership has been relinquished before it was developed into a visible image?

In other words, is an invisible latent image considered by law to be a photograph and thus protected by copyright?

Latent images are the property of the photographer that took the image.

Undeveloped film and files on a memory card are included. Precedent is in the US Copyright law already.

If the latent image was not copyright, then the various proceedings labs around the world would own the bulk of photographic copyrights!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back