Product photographer could use some ideas.

Willc73

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a product photographer. I am always adding work to my portfolio when I am not working. I draw out a bunch of ideas but I need a new perspective. I would love some product ideas, maybe some surface ideas to go with it. Take a look at my website to get an idea of what I do.
I could use some fashion accessories in my book. Humor is always good too.

Hi Bill,

Wow - some great pics on your website! I suppose the only ideas I could think of would be series of contrasts - maybe go from earthy through mineral to mettalic and on to plastic and so on?

Rob

hi bill

do not mean to hijack your thread for my own purposes but you are obviously accomplished in your field of photography.
when you have shiny rounded objects to shoot what do you find is the best lighting to reduce glare?
also do you have any experience with led strip lighting, lcd panel, or encased diffused flourescent?
again sorry i'm no help with your question :blushing:

jeff

No problem.
Rounded mirror objects. Keep in mind I am a studio photographer and this is a solution in a dark studio environment. I start with a diffusion panel, normally I use a piece of white semi translucent plexi. Place the plexi as close to the object as you can without being in the shot. Shoot a strobe head with a grid into the plexi from behind. Make sure the gradation of the light stays within the plexi, that way you won't see the edges of the plexi in the ball, all you want to see is the gradation of light from the plexi. You can place these gradations where you want depending on placement, angle etc. You can add more gradations as you like. You can add a hard light to create a specular and contrast.
As far as LED strip lighting, lcd panel. What do you mean? lighting with it, or photographing lcd panels?

Well, the closest I have done is, about six months ago I wanted to experiment with neon tubes, so I had a couple 6' tubes made up and mounted to 2x4's. I used them in conjunction with other lighting to give a hard line in some products. Worked out really good. Experiment and try it out, if it doesn't look good, try again.

I have a couple question if you dont mind Bill. What format, med, large etc.? Is it digital? Is there alot of photoshop?

PS GREAT work. If you looking for something different, how about some less shape b&w. It would be in contrast to what you do and may show diversity.

Clay

Hi, thanks. I shoot Digital. Phase one H25 back on a view camera. I don't do much photoshop. I don't really show any black and white in my portfolio because I never have a client request it. Although I like to show diversity in my book, I need to keep it cohesive and I am pursue a specific type of client.
I am shooting a couple things this week and have time to shoot some portfolio shots next week. I was thinking of some bathroom fixtures. hmmmm.

Its nice to see vivid colors and setups that arent "photoshoped" to death. Good work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back