Product Photography: How do you capture mascara streaks?

TwinLensReflex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,

Ive been trying my darndest to figure out how to create great looking mascara streaks.
From using black pain to making my own mascara. I just can't get it to look right. Ive tried using different mediums to paint on and different brushes (but always a mascara brush).

What I'm going for is something like these images:

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post links.

4317360.jpg

Im hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly doubt a mascara brush or mascara was used in the above examples.

I'm guessing some sort of paint on acrylic using a thick stiff brush.

I'd say they may even be digital illustrations.

You need to provide links unless you have expressed permission to post/distribute the images.

edit:fixed

Last edited:
What are you painting ON? I would experiment with the surface at least as much as the brushes.

I would paint on glass with a thick brush and use acrylic paint. Then shoot that with a backlight and maybe a white sheet behind the glass and comp that in as the BG.

I'd say they may even be digital illustrations.
I second this. It seems like it could be duplicated in Illustrator with the image of the brush placed on top. Not saying that it wouldn't be possible to create it, but probably easier in Illustrator.

Also, look at your brush vs. their brush. They have a brush with a higher number of bristles at much finer detail than yours. That may also account for something?

You are opening TPF up to copyright infringement.

not really, but they like to pretend it will...

As a site where people post photos all the time we feel that its important that what is displayed within a post is clearly the persons own work, not that of others.
In addition we try to respect copyright of others work as much as we can, even if they are not members of the site - so yes we do operate rules to the effect that you can't use the forum or gallery to host photos you don't own copyright/distribution rights too and that you can't embed them into posts either.
Links are fine though.

You are opening TPF up to copyright infringement.

not really, but they like to pretend it will...

As a site where people post photos all the time we feel that its important that what is displayed within a post is clearly the persons own work, not that of others.
In addition we try to respect copyright of others work as much as we can, even if they are not members of the site - so yes we do operate rules to the effect that you can't use the forum or gallery to host photos you don't own copyright/distribution rights too and that you can't embed them into posts either.
Links are fine though.

I say down with authority! Fight the man!

I say down with authority! Fight the man!

If the man is a woman, are we still allowed to hit with a closed fist?
Or to generalize a bit more, are we fighting without regards to gender?

Perhaps we should 'fight the oppressive regime whether they are male oppressors or female oppressors.'

I would paint on glass with a thick brush and use acrylic paint. Then shoot that with a backlight and maybe a white sheet behind the glass and comp that in as the BG.
I like this idea a lot, I just need to find the right consistency and brush for the mascara.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back