Product Photography Lighting

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by Isabella, May 29, 2010.

1. Isabella

Isabella TPF Noob!

I am coming for help. I've just start product photography recently cus these days I started to run a online store. I got a lot of question and I think most of you here are more experienced than me, so I come here to get some advice.
    Here it is, I need to photograph some bright colored items like kid's toys and clothes, don't know how many watt of the lighting I need? Does daylight bulbs fit? I use Nikon D4. Plus, I've came across a lighting kit with two 20"L x 28"W soft boxes, is this size big enough?

2. Suedrolet

Suedrolet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have to photograph silver and gold jewelry on pure white background. I tried everything, including a macro lens, soft light box, diffusers etc, but the background is gray, and when the background is white, the silver and gold are washed out. Help! I use Elements to fix exposure, and the best way I've found is to use the "replace colour" from gray to white. But it also washes out highlights.

3. y75stingray

y75stingray TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    here is what i do for "high key" or white background product shots.

Even though your product maybe small you need a good amount of space.

I place a white background about three feet behind the table my product is on then i place a strobe about one foot in front of it aiming upward (not straight up but diagonally)
    The "table" i set my products on is actually a set of sawhorses with a piece of Plexiglas laid across them

I use a two foot by three foot soft box to backilght my product. Its on a boom so the stand is not in the way of the white background.

I then use a white foam core board with a hole cut in it and fix it onto my lens as a bounce/camouflage to bounce my backlight onto the front of the product. the lens i typically use is a 50mm macro lens. If you have any other reflections coming in try hanging a white sheet around the area your shooting.

with jewelry or precious stones i will often use a kicker with a snoot attached set off to one side and adjusted properly to get a little extra shine off of the product.

This is a technique you can use if you have a simple set of strobes and the space to do it in.

as for ratios with this setup if your backlight is at f8 set your background light at f16 i never ratio the kicker i just move it around and see what looks good.

I hope this makes sense and helps

4. y75stingray

y75stingray TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    here's a photo of what I'm talking about. It's an older photo so i don't have my sawhorses yet but hopefully you will get the idea.

[​IMG]