Product Photography Question

aisleb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I am working as a designer for a small business putting out a catalog and website. Since I have a few years schooling in photography (tho nearly a decade ago) and a small personal business as a photographer doing real estate and landscape photography, the company has asked that I try my hand at doing some product photography for them, as it is a bit out of their budget to hire and outside vendor. I said I'd give it a shot, but would need some additional equipment, although the budget is very limited (in addition to my salary they will pay 300.00 for the initial service, with the prospect of continuing provided the photos are what they are looking for)....I'm excited at this opportunity to try and expand my skill set, but...

The products are mostly tabletop sized - dinnerware, such a fiestaware plates, stainless steel pans/pots, etc. What we'd like to accommplish is a preferably seamless white background with little shadow. I'm assume the use of a light tent, including sweeps, will be necessary....30x30x30 - good size or larger? What about lighting? Will a couple of flood lights on each side of the tent work, or should I get a small boom for overhead lighting as well? There is a possibillity of doing some glassware...will I need a light panel to light from below for these shots or just a graduated color sweep? Lastly, since my employer will want the images digital and as quickly as possible, I'll be using my Nikon D70. Will the 18-70 lens be ok, or should I look into investing in a macro lens?

Did I miss anything? Anything you would change? Pointers or websites/books you would suggest?

Thanks So Much!
-Amy

Glassware you light from behind to cut down reflections and then use white card reflectors to put in highlights where you need them. Put the overhead light to the rear of the tent and bring the glass forward.
With a light tent - as with everything in still life - keep the number of lights to a minimum. One big softbox over the top and lightly forward (except for the glass) of the tent should do it.
You can put angled white reflectors down the sides to max the light. Use black card strip reflectors to put 'shadows' down the stainless steel to give it some shape.
Use a slight tele. Getting in close with a macro increases the chances of seeing yourself in reflections.
The golden rule is to always keep it as simple as possible.

A light tent is exactly what you need. You'll also need a tripod. As long as you can change the white balance on your camera then any lights will do, you'll just need longer shutter speeds with lower power ones (but with a tripod and non-moving subject, this is no problem).

The 18-70 should be fine, by the sounds of it the objects are all plenty large enough to not warrant needing a macro lens.

Most reactions

Back