Product photography ~ Second thread

edmdusty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I've been having a lot of fun with my DIY product studio. I like shooting products more than people. I think it's because I like to take a couple hours and just mess around with the lighting. I feel kinda like a mad scientist in my laboratory. When I'm shooting people I feel so much pressure to do everything all at once. With products I can make the product look good, then move on to something else. Here's a shot I did of my cell phone. Unfortunately my cell phone is old and grungy and also the sheet of glass I shot through was dirty and scratched even after I cleaned it up. I cloned out most of the junk in photoshop, but I had a lot of trouble getting the black gradation part to clean up nicely. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to clean that up?

3139333235_a098eaf0ac_o.jpg

Here's my set up for the shot;

3139335677_d01d73af95_b.jpg

Something like this ?

Cellphone_editedFS.jpg

Dodge and burn in LightBox and crop and sharpen in FastStone, both free programs.

You can do to same thing in Photoshop, I like the air brush tool...

Try angling your top light more towards the backdrop and the gray will go away :)

Cheers, Don

For small stuff you may want to consider a light tent.

This quick and dirty shot is in a 28" light tent, 45w CF bulbs in 10" reflectors on each side, 26w CF from above, gray backdrop...

50mmf14.jpg

Cheers, Don

Love your shot. Especially the light fall off of the background and the detail in the black. Only thing I can say is next time try the shot way stopped down. ƒ 16 or 22 or whatever the sweet spot. As far cleaning it up you can clone in photoshop. May be easier just to re shoot with a cleaned or different product.

Love & Bass

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I agree about the light falloff. At first it was accidental but then I made an effort to maximize the spotlight effect. The cleaning up in the shadow I was referring to was the inconsistency in falloff and smudges from dirty glass. I like the idea of re shooting. I should find a friend with a new phone and get a brand spanking new piece of plexi glass.

Does anyone know of anything that can get glass/ plexi glass spotlessly clean?

Does anyone know of anything that can get glass/ plexi glass spotlessly clean?

Well... I wouldn't try plexi. It's just too easily scuffed. I went to a glass shop and had them polish the edges of a lite of double-strength glass. That helps prevent getting cut while handling it. I got a fairly large size and was afraid single-strength would be too thin to use as a table.

I wouldn't have thought of shooting through the glass. I would try to suspend the product and then retouch the supports.

-Pete

Here's a thought, use a light tent :lmao:

Seriously, keep the plexi but use banner paper for a backdrop... it's thin enough to light from beneath. Kinda the opposite of what you're trying though...

Glass would give you less of a distortion problem than plexi....

A sample shot...

Windex.jpg

LightTable.jpg

Cheers, Don

That's not quite the same shot. I shot mine from through the glass from below the cell phone. I used that glass that was on my desk. If I have a brand new sheet it should be fine.

Seriously, keep the plexi but use banner paper for a backdrop... it's thin enough to light from beneath. Kinda the opposite of what you're trying though...

That's not quite the same shot. I shot mine from through the glass from below the cell phone. I used that glass that was on my desk. If I have a brand new sheet it should be fine.

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

Back