Roshjc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been contacted to take pictures of a series of tools- I've usually just done portrait photography and this really isn't my forte. The pictures they want- need to look like this:

Please do not pictures to which you do not own rights. You may post a link.

Fairly simple looking but how do I go about this? Do I use a greenscreen? I'm really confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you confused because you have already done your research or confused because you don't know product photography?

IMO I would be learn product photography first before taking a job, there is a lot more to product photography then pushing a button.

And by the way there is no green screen, it is white paper over exposed.

Try starting here -

I'm really confused.
First of all; the example you posted isn't as good as it should be.

There have been many threads on product photography here on the forums, so do a search of the forums and read as many threads as you think you need.

Another good approach is to use a white frosted translucent acrylic panel as a back ground and light the panel from behind. That will blow out the panel to provide a blank white background.

You need to learn how to do this before taking on paid work for a client. You said you were contacted, and I don't know if you meant contracted or if you were just asked. If you've already committed to it then start watching videos and learning what to do. It's probably better after this to get in more learning and practice before taking on any more jobs like this so you can be successful moving forward.

This one has little reflection on the bottom

_86A3361.jpg

You have some good ideas here for you.

What we don't know is what current equipment & software do you have to do this ?
A lot can be done without software if you have the right setup, otherwise you can do a lot with software if you do a good setup that doesn't create problems with the image.

For instance I would not use a green screen, as most newer ppl to this have the subject too close to a green backdrop and you get greenish hues on the subjects from the reflection. using a white, gray or black backdrop depending upon the object would help to isolate it if you use PhotoShop to set the backdrop to a consistent color. Otherwise use the correct table, etc for setup.

Start by practicing with some tools at home and setting things up, asking for help on improving, etc etc
You'll get there but start by practicing and not taking on a job where you have to do it right from the get-go.

once you get all the concepts and lighting directions and knowing how to light the subject properly (which may require multiple lights, reflectors, diffusers, etc). Then it all starts making more sense as you become your own critic.

This one has little reflection on the bottom

View attachment 140811
The picture came out nice but you can easily eliminate the shadow by editing. Other than that I would say it is not bad at all. Nice work. What camera and lens are you using for this sort of product photography?.

If you are doing tools then consider doing an in use shot..

Most reactions

Back