Product placement

Harpper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm kind of undecided about this picture, but I thought I'd post it to see what you guys think.

truck1.jpg

voodoocat said:
That's a great shot, but the horizon seems to be slanting to the right.

voo i just checked up on the image, the horizon is actually pretty straight, the sunbeams give the illusion that its tilting.

Harpper, since your title is "Product Placement" I am going to guess that you had commercial photography in mind with this shot? I think its a great ad, one thing that really struck me about it was the the way the lines from the sunbean, horizon and the the truck converge at one point, it seems to nicely lead the eyes to the center.

I don't think i would like this pic as a standalone, but I do really like it as a product advertisement, you have plenty of space on the horizon or side door to write your slogan too :)

Thanks for the comments. I didn't notice the horizon before but it might be an illusion like mark said. There seems to be a slight tilt but that's definitely something to keep in mind next time. My angle and composition was more focused on getting the logo on the car the way I liked it.

vonnagy said:
...you have plenty of space on the horizon or side door to write your slogan too
Right. This shot isn't for a specific advertisement but I'm just practicing since I'm majoring in graphic design. There's a lot of advertising involved in that career. It adds a different element to composition because I have to think about having space for text and other "add-ons".

Although even with that being said, the picture still needs to stand on its own so I wanted to see what everyone thought...

vonnagy said:
voodoocat said:
That's a great shot, but the horizon seems to be slanting to the right.

voo i just checked up on the image, the horizon is actually pretty straight, the sunbeams give the illusion that its tilting.

Harpper, since your title is "Product Placement" I am going to guess that you had commercial photography in mind with this shot? I think its a great ad, one thing that really struck me about it was the the way the lines from the sunbean, horizon and the the truck converge at one point, it seems to nicely lead the eyes to the center.

I don't think i would like this pic as a standalone, but I do really like it as a product advertisement, you have plenty of space on the horizon or side door to write your slogan too :)
I stand corrected. It is an allusion. perhaps slighty tilted but it's definately an illusion.

The first thing I thought when I saw it was that the background looked a little fake. :( I think it has to do with the coloring. For advertising.. I'm not big on the brown. psychologically it is kinda a turn off since brown is a dull drab color. I like the composition though... I think the sun rays are really neat and the truck name is readable and clear.

karissa said:
The first thing I thought when I saw it was that the background looked a little fake. :( I think it has to do with the coloring. For advertising.. I'm not big on the brown. psychologically it is kinda a turn off since brown is a dull drab color.
Good points, karissa. My point & shot Toshibia severely underexposes my pictures so I had to alter it in photoshop. To make the truck look normal the background had to take the beating. Since I wasn't actually selling this shot, I got a little lazy and left the background as is.

The other problem I had was that B&W lost some character I was going for which was an earthy feeling. To compensate I added some cyan to give it a more earthy tone. I agree, brown does have a drab feel to it but I was hoping I didn't put enough to for anyone to notice. Apparently not.

For advertising.. I'm not big on the brown. psychologically it is kinda a turn off since brown is a dull drab color.

This is a really tough call for me, I have have seen sepia toned advertisements which i love - personally i am huge fan of earthtones but I am not sure what the average buyer prefers.

I was thinking this shot would be kind of cool in the 'widescreen' format by those dodgy old aps cameras. do you have any more shots from this series or was this your favourite?

Harpper said:
karissa said:
The first thing I thought when I saw it was that the background looked a little fake. :( I think it has to do with the coloring. For advertising.. I'm not big on the brown. psychologically it is kinda a turn off since brown is a dull drab color.
Good points, karissa. My point & shot Toshibia severely underexposes my pictures so I had to alter it in photoshop. To make the truck look normal the background had to take the beating. Since I wasn't actually selling this shot, I got a little lazy and left the background as is.

The other problem I had was that B&W lost some character I was going for which was an earthy feeling. To compensate I added some cyan to give it a more earthy tone. I agree, brown does have a drab feel to it but I was hoping I didn't put enough to for anyone to notice. Apparently not.

I do want to say that I think the idea was excellent. I would love to see it shot with a better camera.

vonnagy said:
This is a really tough call for me, I have have seen sepia toned advertisements which i love - personally i am huge fan of earthtones but I am not sure what the average buyer prefers.
Yes, I'm still scratching my head about this one. When I first thought of the shot I was thinking truck driver, outdoors ...earthtones. This tone would definitely not work for say a BMW advertisement but it may or may not work for this one too. :scratch:

vonnagy said:
I was thinking this shot would be kind of cool in the 'widescreen' format by those dodgy old aps cameras. do you have any more shots from this series or was this your favourite?
You read my mind on that one. I actually wanted it wider or in other words I wanted the truck to be farther away from the sun. The only problem was there was a small mount to my right so I couldn't move the truck any further. I was very limited to the placement of the truck in relation to the horizon. Oh well...

I do have more shots from the series but this is the only one that turned out decent. My P&S had an awful time exposing this shot correctly. I can't wait until I get my DSLR...

Most reactions

Back