Product Shot Pricing.

BobSaget

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Going to be producing some shots for a local jeweler for online/social media advertising. was thinking 20 pcs. shot full and close up for a total of 40 digital images in format of jewelers choosing. No model, taken at home on white board with primary and fill lighting, he/she hands over the pieces and i return them with images. I want to price this around $100. any thoughts?

$100.00 for the entire shoot? $2.50 / image?... Really?!?!?! You are using your own camera / lenses / lights / modifiers / electricity / fuel / phone / knowledge / software / computer / internet / etc, etc.... right? If your overhead isn't part of your pricing equation, run away from paid photographic work, because you will lose money every single project that you touch...

$100.00 for the entire shoot? $2.50 / image?... Really?!?!?! You are using your own camera / lenses / lights / modifiers / electricity / fuel / phone / knowledge / software / computer / internet / etc, etc.... right? If your overhead isn't part of your pricing equation, run away from paid photographic work, because you will lose money every single project that you touch...

Especially if you are printing, that is REALLY cheap.

Best,
Jake

Well that's one way of looking at it. my camera, lenses, lights, tripods, gels, utilities etc. are paid for and used regardless of they're commercial use. Compensation would be strictly for my time. thanks for the input. and you may be right. $175 would be more appropriate. realize that though I would be turning over 40 shots, setup would be the same for each peice, i might change a lens for the close ups but that's about it.

TiredIron. That would bankrupt the Client. Did I mention I'm located in the south? Do I need to move to Canada?

Sure! ;) Seriously though, 40 images, let's say that you can produce a fully processed finished image in ten minutes. That's 400 minutes, or six hours and forty minutes. You're only at $75/hour. Knock 1/3 of that off for tax and you're down to $50/hour. Factor in wear & tear, power, travel, etc and say that's worth $10/hour. You're down to $40/hour. If you have NO other costs, then that's not bad. If you do, well, it doesn't take long before you're losing money. Just food for thought.

Trust me, I'm paying good attention to what you guys are saying and realize y'all have a good bit of experience. I'm sure you realize this is something I'm doing outside my regular job. I'm in real estate and used to spending $170 for twenty or so images of a property (if I don't shoot it myself.) Honestly, this is the only example I have had to work with. I've taken product shots before and I'm going to be allowing myself around three hours of shooting and editing. Once you factor everything in y'all are proving I'm coming across too cheap. Is it common to price small product photography differently then what I consider more complicated work like fashion or large weddings?

The key is -plus licensing.

Licensing is essentially a copyright rental agreement.
The licensing for 40 images for social media and online advertising would be bargain basement cheap at $2000 for just 6 months of use, even in the South.
Figure at least another $2000 for making the 40 images.

How about $20,000 for just 13 images - Case Study: Producing A Successful Estimate | DigitalPhotoPro.com

But it's your job, so price at whatever you think you can get the client to pay.

So the guy that's shooting say Ford's product line for web. what is he taking in?

Trust me, I'm paying good attention to what you guys are saying and realize y'all have a good bit of experience. I'm sure you realize this is something I'm doing outside my regular job. I'm in real estate and used to spending $170 for twenty or so images of a property (if I don't shoot it myself.) Honestly, this is the only example I have had to work with. I've taken product shots before and I'm going to be allowing myself around three hours of shooting and editing. Once you factor everything in y'all are proving I'm coming across too cheap. Is it common to price small product photography differently then what I consider more complicated work like fashion or large weddings?
Product work is commercial photography as opposed to weddings which are retail work, and they are priced based on very different models. If you're happy doing this for a couple of hundred dollars, then fine, go for it, but in my experience the cheaper jobs are much more likely to be problematic. I always know when I have a good client; they don't ask about prices, they simply tell me what they want and ask when they can expect it.

TiredIron. That would bankrupt the Client.

Then your client needs to rethink their pricing strategy as well.

:biglaugh:
I know right, but I'm realizing not all products are the same. If you're shooting a massed produced Item for say a t shirt shop, that image would go a lot further than a handmade, one off piece of jewelry.

You can obviously charge whatever you want. Only you know what your actual overhead is. Just remember this before you do a job super cheap....
Once you work at a price, you have basically locked yourself into that price bracket for that client and whoever else they tell. It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to justify to a client why you are raising your prices for doing the same work for them. You can raise your prices and simply tell them that is your price now, but be prepared to lose those clients.
Or, work cheap forever.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back