Product shots - some help please!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by bigfatbadger, Jun 30, 2006.

1. bigfatbadger

bigfatbadger TPF Noob!

Mar 19, 2006
    Hi everyone, once again I bow to your superior collective widsom and ask for advice!

I've offered to do some product photography for a friend who's starting her own cake business. Shots would be primarily of cakes. Now, I don't have a macro lens or the funds to buy one, and I'm not sure that a reversing ring is the best option, the shots i've seen with them are good, but not the greatest for trying to sell your product.

So here's what I'm thinking - extension tubes and a light tent. Does this sound feasable? Would this set up be good enough for photos of cakes and does anyone have tips for the buying of extension tubes (I take it those £10 ones off ebay aren't great) and or light tents. Does anyone also have advice on lighting set ups when using a light tent? Are spotlights alright to begin with?

Thanks in advance!
  2. chris

chris TPF Noob!

Jun 20, 2003
    You probably won't need extension rings. They are usually used to give reproduction ratios of of about half to full life size so unless the cakes are really very small they will not be much use to you; also you end up with very little depth of focus. Incidentally, extension tubes have no optical elements so they introduce no image degradation, except whatever is due to using a lens beyond its design parameters; cheap rings may be a slightly sloppy fit but if you use a tripod or other firm camera support there is no reason that you should not get as good results as with an expensive one. the main difference between cheap and expensive extensioon rings is likely to be the functions that are available , such as auto focus and metering options.

For the set up I would either go for a plain seamless background using a large sheet of paper or set up a table top scene. Use window light with reflectors (white or silver sheets of card) to provide some fill-in light and shoot with the camera on a tripod or solid support.