Professional Gallery? Qualified to post?

Program mode is not full automatic there's a little room for adjustment ....

Program AE: This is the first mode in the Creative Zone of the Mode dial. Program AE works similarly to the Full Automatic exposure mode, but allows more control over the exposure variables. Aperture and shutter speed are automatically selected by the camera, but you can bias the exposure to larger or smaller apertures by turning the Main dial, which will change the combination of aperture and shutter speed so as to maintain the same exposure value, but with a different combination of aperture/shutter speed.

Yea.. so it is better than full AUTO.. but it still takes a lot of control away from the photographer! I can't help but wonder if those images would have been as good as they are, if the camera hadn't done most of the work! ;) Guess we will never know, will we? That is the problem with Auto or Program.. are you taking the shot, or is whoever programmed those functions taking the shot?

I was hoping to get some C&C and it has been lacking in the other forums. I figured I would get a little negative attention here... but this wasn't what I expected. I thought you would give advice on how to improve my images other than just insult which mode my camera was set at. Oh well.... I guess I can take the advice, NOT to use program mode... great construction to improve :confused:

But you already posted these for CC and got quite a bit of good help on them. Why post them again?

As for P mode being useful? Eh. I don't really think it is, but I do have a girl I will have use it this week. She has no desire to learn what she is doing, no desire to learn what aperture and shutter do, no desire to process raw, NADA, nothing other than wearing that camera around her neck and feeling cool. I am pretty OK with the fact that she just wasted a grand on a camera that she'll use in auto forever.
BUT... she wants to pay me to edit some images this week. I won't take them if they aren't raw, so P mode it is.
Would I instruct a student to shoot in P mode? Nope. I'll explain it and I'll explain how it can hinder you if you get that lazy and let you decide.
If it works for you? I couldn't really care less-UNLESS you want to improve, which I assume you do... SOoooo, then its the get out of P mode talk.

I was hoping to get some C&C and it has been lacking in the other forums. I figured I would get a little negative attention here... but this wasn't what I expected. I thought you would give advice on how to improve my images other than just insult which mode my camera was set at. Oh well.... I guess I can take the advice, NOT to use program mode... great construction to improve :confused:

But you already posted these for CC and got quite a bit of good help on them. Why post them again?

As for P mode being useful? Eh. I don't really think it is, but I do have a girl I will have use it this week. She has no desire to learn what she is doing, no desire to learn what aperture and shutter do, no desire to process raw, NADA, nothing other than wearing that camera around her neck and feeling cool. I am pretty OK with the fact that she just wasted a grand on a camera that she'll use in auto forever.
BUT... she wants to pay me to edit some images this week. I won't take them if they aren't raw, so P mode it is.
Would I instruct a student to shoot in P mode? Nope. I'll explain it and I'll explain how it can hinder you if you get that lazy and let you decide.
If it works for you? I couldn't really care less-UNLESS you want to improve, which I assume you do... SOoooo, then its the get out of P mode talk.

The CC and I am asking for isn't necessarily for these images... I was testing the waters to see if I should begin posting here... I SINCERELY appreciate you taking the time you do to help MLeek!

this is why I never used the "P for professional" mode.

Not being a professional I knew if I did the APA would fine me.

---

but seriously Charles. You know this doesn't really matter. It's poor technique, but in the end - who cares.

So it is OK for professionals to user PROGRAM now.. and let the camera do the work? Which means any moron with a decent camera that has a decent PROGRAM mode can call themselves a professional, after a month or two of learning how to use program mode?

I say that in PROGRAM mode.. it is the CAMERA being the professional, the monkey holding it is just a camera transport device.

(and we wonder why the profession has taken such a nose dive in quality, profitability, and reputation?)
"Photography is a marvelous discovery, a science that has attracted the greatest intellects, an art that excites the most astute minds – and one that can be practiced by any imbecile."

-Nadar (Gaspard Felix Tournachone), 1856

Note the date of this quote (one of my favorites!) In some form or other, this is a very old argument. ;) Get over yourself, Charlie.

Now can everyone please calm down while I clean up this thread? If we can't stay on topic it's going to have to be locked.

To the OP: post away! There isn't a test to pass before coming here. If you can stand the heat from your fellow pros, you'll do fine! :)

I think I'm gonna have a glass of wine... And post a new thread in the morning... In the professional gallery :) I will make sure I shoot in manual when I do though ;) lol sheesh!

I think I'm gonna have a glass of wine... And post a new thread in the morning... In the professional gallery :) I will make sure I shoot in manual when I do though ;) lol sheesh!
cheers! (glasses clink)

I was all like "auto mode? program mode? there's a difference?" I had to actually look at my camera to see if there was an "auto" mode ... there is. I went to see what it did.

I can't even imagine taking pictures like that. Of course I've used point and shoots, but when I get my hands on a DSLR I instinctively think in terms manipulating exposure. Having it dance around like that without any input other than EC actually kind of confused me.

Funny how context changes things.

Program mode is not full automatic there's a little room for adjustment ....

Program AE: This is the first mode in the Creative Zone of the Mode dial. Program AE works similarly to the Full Automatic exposure mode, but allows more control over the exposure variables. Aperture and shutter speed are automatically selected by the camera, but you can bias the exposure to larger or smaller apertures by turning the Main dial, which will change the combination of aperture and shutter speed so as to maintain the same exposure value, but with a different combination of aperture/shutter speed.

Yea.. so it is better than full AUTO.. but it still takes a lot of control away from the photographer! I can't help but wonder if those images would have been as good as they are, if the camera hadn't done most of the work! ;) Guess we will never know, will we? That is the problem with Auto or Program.. are you taking the shot, or is whoever programmed those functions taking the shot?

I have to kind of disagree to agree.
If a 'professional photographer' is using program mode and the images come out good with what the photographer was intending for them to look like, what do we care?
The photographer loses some serious control and in all actuality can't create the image in mind, but as long as it's working for them? Who cares? It's THEIR business, THEIR limits and they are not degrading me or you or anyone else in doing it. I won't hit a ceiling because someone else shot in program or auto.

Now someone who is asking for critique and ways to improve
? Then they get the answer for how to improve. Which I (hope?) think is where this all started.
Posted here everything is opened for critique and how to improve the next time-so the answer then is to get out of program mode, take control and to give the tools to do that.
The answer isn't "YOU SUCK CUZ YOU SHOT IN PROGRAM MODE!!!!" It's that you need to get out of program mode and really control the image and here are the tools to learn and do that or what do you need to help you do that.

We make a big dramatic production out of this around here and argue over every little thing. The bottom line is that the OP is looking to improve and take the next step. Do we help forward and get out of program mode or do we say "hey, whatever, dude. Stay in program mode! It's working for you!"

Program mode (on my camera) in conjunction with exposure compensation allows total control (within +/-5 stops of the metered reading, which is usually plenty). It is functionally identical to aperture or shutter priority. It's just an alternative way of working. Plenty of pros have used aperture priority over the decades.

Program mode is a way of working that is, I admit, foreign to me, so I don't use it.

yeah, but in manual mode, I can, if I wanted to, over/under expose by 10 stops! so neener neeener!

Program mode (on my camera) in conjunction with exposure compensation allows total control (within +/-5 stops of the metered reading, which is usually plenty). It is functionally identical to aperture or shutter priority. It's just an alternative way of working. Plenty of pros have used aperture priority over the decades.

Program mode is a way of working that is, I admit, foreign to me, so I don't use it.
This is just my opinion... and I don't function well in any priority mode to begin with (TOTALLY inept.) BUT... that sounds infinitely more complicated to me than even working in a priority mode. AND it still requires the knowledge of what those things are doing to set your parameters... so... it would seem to me that shutter or aperture priority would have been easier anyway.

Or I could be wayyyyy off base too. Like I said... totally inept.

I typically do not shoot in Program mode... I promise lol. It was per request by the main photog, who I learned isn't so much the pro as I thought, that I shoot in P mode. I was HIS assistant so I listened and did what he asked. I prefer aperture priority, sometimes shutter priority, and sometimes even manual. I do have to put more thought into the manual shooting. I am fairly new to this photography stuff and I get nervous quickly. If an image does not appear in my preview screen as I would like it to... most of the time I have a good idea how to fix it. I have a good idea on how shutter, aperture, and iso relate to one another. I still have SO much to learn I know this. But my intentions and determination to improve everyday will make me great one day. It's the realization that I can improve and learn more, and try new things that will lead me to excellence ( one day, not soon, lol). I feel a little sad for those who think they have it all figured out and will not strive for anything else or reach for that next level.... they unfortunately have peaked. I am just beginning!

Most reactions

Back