Professional Quality Printing?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by dk_hopper, Feb 23, 2008.

1. dk_hopper

dk_hopper TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all! Thank you all so much for this forum. It has been extremely helpful with my journey in photography. It has truly become a passion of mine, thanks to all of your kind information.

I have been taking fairly good pictures of friends and family and am frequently getting asked to do photography for friends of friends. I love taking pictures for them, but I need a little income to support my photography habit. I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions of professional quality online printing sites that I can upload the images I take and have them purchase them through the site and allow me to get a percentage of the purchase, or any other ideas on this matter. I am sure you all experience this.

Thanks again!:wink:

2. Jon0807

Jon0807 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've had 8x12's done at mpix.com and they came out great. I think alot of people here use them as well. I've also had good results with shutterfly.com but only had 4x6's printed with them.

3. Sandspur

Sandspur TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mpix and Shutterfly are both great!

I have a pro gallery with Shutterfly and use it to sell thousands of dollars worth of prints every year. But unless you do the kind of event photography I do, you don't need to pay for a pro gallery.

Jon0807 mentioned that he didn't have experience with Shutterfly prints larger than 4x6. I do. Even up to 20x30. They're great!

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    :thumbs: mpix

5. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Another vote here for Mpix and if you start to do more volume you can move up the pro side, Millers.

6. eminart

eminart TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whoa! I've never heard of this. Of course, I'm just trying to get into photography. Can someone explain more how it works? Would I just set up an account and upload photos? Do I pay anything for the account, or just for prints ordered?

7. Jon0807

Jon0807 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    with both mpix and shutterfly you just open an account for FREE and start uploading pics that you want to print. Mpix only holds your photos for a certain amount of time but shutterfly is also a hosting site like Flickr. You can keep your photos there indefinately I believe.

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    go to www.mpix.com

There site explains the whole process pretty well.

9. dk_hopper

dk_hopper TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you all for the feedback. Has anyone tried Printroom?

10. iriairi

iriairi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does anyone know what colorspace these sights use?

11. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I was talking to someone at mpix a few days ago. This should answer your question.

Please save your files in RGB color mode in 8-bit color, not 16 bit, to achieve the best print results. Please - no CMYK, Grayscale, PSD or LZW compressed files and if you work in layers, be sure to flatten the file and remove any extra channels before sending. We accept JPG or TIFF files. Most customer convert their Tiff files to Jpeg for uploading as there is very little difference in printing quality between the two formats. Lossless or highest quality jpg compressions are more than adequate for high quality printing. In the early days of digital that wasn't always the case however the compression algorithms have become very sophisticated and it is nearly impossible to distinguish a jpg print from a tiff print with the naked eye.

sRGB is the working space for all our photographic printers. Consequently working in a larger color space does not offer any advantage from a printing stand point. A larger color space in theory allows a greater range of colors and dynamic range to be captured and manipulated. We suggest sRGB as the working space because that is the color space that the printers require. Before images are printed here they must be converted to sRGB by suggesting that clients use sRGB as their working space they are insuring that what they see will be what they get as much as possible.

Will I lose quality by sending a JPEG over a Tiff?

The JPEG compression format is a very efficient, lossy image compression algorithm designed specifically for saving photographic images. It takes advantage of how humans see color versus brightness to only save information needed to reproduce the image for people to view. Image data is lost during compression, but at high levels of quality you will not see a difference between a JPEG and a TIFF printed to photographic paper. JPEG compression is perfect for sending files to the lab for printing, but be sure to avoid using the compression as a working file type.

12. iriairi

iriairi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That was what I wanted to know. Thanks domromer.