Progress?

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has your photography improved since joining up with TPF? How?

Yes, although I don't think the two are related.

I really like some of the people here, and like any photographer I enjoy talking about gear, but we don't get enough threads about the non-technical aspects of photography.

I don't mean that to be an indictment. I have found that conversations about creativity tend to be more complex and longer, and don't really lend themselves to an online thread format.

Being a member of TPF gives me a chance to continue thinking about photography. I don't have contact with a lot of photgraphers in my real life, so the various online communities I'm a member of keep me closer to my hobby. That translates into more time photographing, which results in more skills.

I have learned a lot about Photoshop here, which I consider an integral part of my imaging process (like darkrooms used to be for me.) So I guess the answer is yes after all, I have learned more about photography since joining.

well since i joined i havent had many shooting opportunities, so in practice no. but i have learned a lot about photography here, and i think any future shoots will be improved therefore. i really like the c&c threads, since it gives me a chance to see how rules apply to specific images. i often look at the photos first and think "cool". then i read the c&c, go back and look at it, and see "oh yeah! true, that could have been improved". as a result i am looking at pictures more and more critical and i am hoping that will translate to being more aware when i shoot pictures..

I'd say a definite yes for me. After reading it over & over in the threads, I finally succumbed and read the manual. I'm much better at being able to get a decent exposure, and it feels like things "click" (pardon the sad pun) when reading advice from the more advanced on TPF.

I find constantly looking at shots other members have posted really opens up other ways to see shots I might take.

yeah, doesn't mean I'm good or anything, just better that I was. I still suck.

:lol:

I echo this. Long way to go 'til I'm remotely happy with my photography as a whole, but I'm improving very slowly. It doesn't help that I have so little time at the moment; spending more time online (at work) reading than being able to physically practice.

TPF takes photos?
TPF is a living entity with a concious and camera? - is it a canon or a nikon?

I would say this. I am new to this game, so at my level there is a lot of scope for improvement which comes both from practice and also from advice. Practice TPF cannot give - advice its members can offer. As well as that there is inspiration and new ideas - those things too I have got from TPF.
I have got them from other forums as well - even those which are not photography based - I don't stay here just to improve though, nor just for the advice, those I can get on nearly any photography forum worth its coding == I stay because I like the community here - that makes a forum worth staying with

I think photography must not be like riding a bicycle. My skills increase or decrease proportionately with the number of images I take per/month or per/year. There's a few techniques and processes I know by heart from doing them repeatedly over the years but the creative art part of or kind of, photography comes or goes with frequency.

And I'm with Battou... The more I think I suck the more I strive. The more I think I'm great the less effort I put into trying to attain/achieve excellence. It also provides for a more tolerable level of ego. :D So I always try to think of not how good I've gotten but rather how much I still suck. ;)

TPF didn't help me getting more creative, but I've learned here many technical things which help me to make a better use of my camera.

I've read some posts, or pieces of posts, that have made me say, "oh I didn't think of that!" or "Hey I gotta try that!" which have helped me.

Also I think looking at some of the work of some of the photographers here do inspire me to keep trying.

That all said -- I, too, still suck but looking at the first photos I took to the current ones, I do see a little bit of improvement.

I think I've gotten better, but I don't know if you could say it was because of TPF.
Maybe... But I think it has more to do with reading a bunch and trying new things, not to mention that it's been almost a year (on TPF, that is) and if I didn't improve in that time...well that would be kinda sad. I don't post a whole lot of photos on here, and the ones I do post usually don't get many comments... but I do read almost everything on here.

I know it's not the tools, but how you use them - but damn, the right tools sure do help!
I'm much happier with my photos since switching from DPP to Lightroom.

I'm sure I've picked up a few new tricks/techniques from you guys too. TPF has probably helped me with PP more than anything else. Before I joined here I knew almost nothing about it. I'm still no expert, but I'm a lot better than I was.

Last edited:
Even though I've only been on here a month and haven't had a lot of chances since I got my camera to just go shoot. I would have to say TPF has been a big help to this noob. Having the more experienced folks on here point out technical mistakes and offer suggestions and looking at other's photos has made me more aware of what the picture will be and how to make it what I want.

That said, I know I have a very long way to go to be close to the same league with most. But having a place to get some tips, critiques of my photos, ideas from looking at other shots, etc. is invaluable.

I've learned an astronomical amount from a lot of people here at TPF. Not as much on the creativity (as others said), though certainly I've seen a few things that have opened my eyes up to some neat ways of looking at things.

Where I've learned the most is from a technical perspective in both photography and photoshop, both of which have been invaluable... and I find I'm still learning more everyday.

Yes, of course I didn't have a camera when I joined! :lol:

Being a member of TPF has helped me grow as a photographer in several ways. I shoot entirely in M mode now. I think a lot more about composition (I still need a lot of work in that area!). My PS skills have improved thanks to suggestions and tutorials from TPF members. Having the support of other photographers who are just as passionate is also a tremendous help.

Most reactions

Back