Progress?

I have learned more about printing photos and, picked up on some photoshop tricks. As for it affecting my shooting no not really. Im old and set in my ways.

Yes definitely! Being able to see other members work has helped me to understand what makes a good photo. Without this website I'd still be wondering why my photos are so crap - Thanks to this site I now know why :)

Hell yes...
Before I joined TPF I was lucky to crack $200 a month in photo-gigs..
Now I clear $5000 a week easy...
Nah - just kidding...
Sure - TPF members have taught me things - made me recall how to do things - broadened my thinking - improved my 'art-eye' - improved my tolerance of fellow forum-ites (some of them are still dumbo's though) - convinced me that I really DID need a new pair of glasses - made me envious with all the gear they have: and I haven't....... And in return it's been a pleasure to share some of the things I know with other members.
Yeah - thanks, guys and gals...
Jedo

Yes... not necessarily a direct result of TPF. Sharing and discussions help keep the ideas flowing and remind me to think outside the box. It is the same reason why it bugs me when people try to define "rules" and "guidelines" to the art of photography.

Yes, but not because of the forum. More likely in spite of it ;)

I wanted to wait until today, my second anniversary on TPF, to reply :)

I agree with I.F. about the creativity discussions. There's a few things I've gleaned here and there, but some things just lend themselves to in person conversations. Maybe because you can see how crazy the folks you are having those discussions with are.

The technical stuff, at least as far as postprocessing goes, maybe a little trick here and there also. Hardware and equipment, I subscribe to a variety of publications to keep up, do my own research and have no problem ferreting out decisions.

Early on C&C was important to me, but that went away fairly quickly getting rapped on the head for sensor spots, oversaturation, oversharpening etc. Once I figured out that a considerable amount of it has an underlying animosity, I figured to hell with it and decided to follow my own path according to my tastes. If I'm "wrong", it'll be my mistake and I'll own my problem rather than borrowing someone else's. There are some opinions I have respect for, but to acknowledge them in the slightest only encourages the posers and perpetually dissatisfied.

I've learned that diversity makes things better. That there is no 'one' source for information and my own judgement is the one I can trust fully and everytime. To act on my own instincts makes me the happiest and is the most rewarding to me. These actions also bring the best reaction- in my opinion.

Probably the most important thing is to have learned community is important. That there are others like me out there going through some of the same. Although I still prefer to work alone, some social interaction ain't so bad.

Overall, out of the last 14 years of shooting, the last two have been the most progressive. Not entirely because of TPF, but not in spite of it.

^^^ wow.

Nice response.

I've definitely improved in the short time I've been here, partly because of this place. The critiques have helped a lot and I appreciate the generosity of those who bother to offer them. There are also little things that have helped, like a good book on composition that was recommended to me by one member. The work of better photographers (i.e., most people here) has given me a lot of ideas, not to mention viewing pleasure.

But I've been learning for other reasons, e.g., starting to shoot in RAW, becoming more conscious of how lighting differences will affect the result and lots of practice.

I wanted to wait until today, my second anniversary on TPF, to reply :)

I'm adding willful spite to my list of noob learning suggestions! ;) Awesome dude! And I agree, consider what others say but unless it's really revelational keep it in the social side of the brain and don't let it control or overpower your own intuition.

Really, it took you TWO YEARS to get that??? :confused:

:lol: j/k. :lmao:

My skillz have skyrocketed since I joined TPF, but it was not becuase of TPF... I slept at a Holiday Inn Express once.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back