Project 365 - day 20 - Woman

Oy Gevalt....

lets keep things on topic please, and leave the insults and thinly veiled hostile insinuations off the forum.

OP, since you have your profile set to "OK" to edit photos, i took a stab at it.
personally, I saw this one as too "big". I liked the B&W conversion, and I liked the right side of the frame with the pavers being visible. i just think its too much foreground. so....a quick 16x10 (16x9 was juuuust not quite enough)

on a related note, sometimes its nice to post work and get comments for no other reason that to just know that someone is actually looking.

Collecting.jpg

anyway...
everybody better play nice in here or I will dispatch some TPF holiday passes to the next offending party.

Funny thing is that I really hate this image, but a committment is a committment and my project 365 forces me to publish one photo a day (and I'm happy this way). Of course, despite the fact I put my efforts on doing my best each day, some day are better than others. For that day this was still the best I could do and so I published it, no matter what. I perfectly understand (also without C&C) when a photo of mine is good or not and while I apreciate that someone could find it interesting, I feel this image is not that interesting to me, especially because it doesn't match the idea I had in my mind when the woman was coming into the frame. Watching it in color...well...it is better, but the project was BW and F/8, so...that's it.

That said...for me this is not a jury and it's not a gotha of experts by whose counseling I'll become the next Cartier-Bresson. It's just a web forum with people who shares the same passion for photography, people who may have differet minds, have different backgrounds, ideas, bias, levels. It's OK. I'm not here to submit myself as a photographer to a value judgment, moral strokes, apreciation for free, I'm not fishing for compliments.

I'm just here to share photos, share opinions and different points of view. And I feel free to do the same with your photos, sure as I am that honest comparison and confrontation is the best way to grow up.

PS: the first person I show my new photographs to get a feedback is my grandmother. She doesn't know who Cartier-Bresson and Salgado are and I think she's not even able to really press the shutter release button or shoot a photograph on focus. That's why I ask for her feedback first. To get a feedback from someone who doesn't have any bias or photograph background. That's a total different and indeed useful point of view. That's what I am looking for.

I won't return on this thread again.

Funny thing is that I really hate this image, but a committment is a committment and my project 365 forces me to publish one photo a day (and I'm happy this way). Of course, despite the fact I put my efforts on doing my best each day, some day are better than others. For that day this was still the best I could do and so I published it, no matter what. I perfectly understand (also without C&C) when a photo of mine is good or not and while I apreciate that someone could find it interesting, I feel this image is not that interesting to me, especially because it doesn't match the idea I had in my mind when the woman was coming into the frame. Watching it in color...well...it is better, but the project was BW and F/8, so...that's it.

That said...for me this is not a jury and it's not a gotha of experts by whose counseling I'll become the next Cartier-Bresson. It's just a web forum with people who shares the same passion for photography, people who may have differet minds, have different backgrounds, ideas, bias, levels. It's OK. I'm not here to submit myself as a photographer to a value judgment, moral strokes, apreciation for free, I'm not fishing for compliments.

I'm just here to share photos, share opinions and different points of view. And I feel free to do the same with your photos, sure as I am that honest comparison and confrontation is the best way to grow up.

PS: the first person I show my new photographs to get a feedback is my grandmother. She doesn't know who Cartier-Bresson and Salgado are and I think she's not even able to really press the shutter release button or shoot a photograph on focus. That's why I ask for her feedback first. To get a feedback from someone who doesn't have any bias or photograph background. That's a total different and indeed useful point of view. That's what I am looking for.

I won't return on this thread again.

That's beautiful.

This reminds me of something similar I've sort of realized, for lack of a better term ... when I realized I liked the color image better, I stepped back and tried to think of why, and I recalled some of Ken Rockwell's writings about composition, that it should stand out as initially pleasing even as an out-of-focus thumbnail, and should click geometrically. And I think that image does that ... On the left we had a big yellow area with a little blue and on the right a big blue area with a little bit of yellow. A bright yellow spot upper left (which I don't care for in the BW), dark blue lower right.

At any rate, I agreed, I'm done with this thread, setting to unwatch. Terrific image, benjo ... keep bringing more! :)

It's like... *almost* there, but not quite.

I like the B&W version, for sure.

I feel like I want to see at least a profile of her face, and I have no idea what's in her hand. If I could see both of those, I think it would make it stronger.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back