Prom pics I took today, look ok?

Yes, I agree with the reflector and the fill-in flash.

Question is
Which is the preferred method especially if you do not have a assistant?

Also, if it is not for group photos. A diffuser may also works, right?

$4 could have helped tremendously.

Go to walmart and buy one of those big shiny car shades that sit in the windows and have some one hold it up at a good angle to help with the shadows. You don't want to completely kill the shadows or your photos would be flat.

Another option would have been to wait closer to sun down for softer light.

Just think of it this way, the smaller the light source, the harsher the shadows. Direct sun is coming from on small point (figuratively). If it were cloudy, the clouds would catch the sun and scatter the light, making the clouds basically the light source and creating a HUGE light. The bigger the light, the softer the light.

All great examples of why not to shoot in harsh light. ;)

Start off by learning how to control the light. Taking a pic where 1/2 the people are in the shade and the rest in direct sunlight is going to result in issues. Taking shots in direct STRONG light is going to cause issues. A fill flash would help that section of people in the shade, but the people in the sun are still in some VERY direct undiffused light.

I also found the interface to show the pics a little annoying.

The general concensus about google being your friend is an important lesson. There is no greater source of getting it right than learning it yourself. If you go back, and look at any one my 1500+ posts, you won't see a single question here from me. I learn by doing the research myself. I asked for a CC once... they talked about specular highlight issues in my pic. I did not ask what it was, even though I had no clue... I researched it myself, and learned the solution for it myself too.

I wish more people had this attitude, it would sure make things easier on them as they woudl learn so much more and a LOT faster. :)

I think what I am trying to say is that there is a difference between asking for help, and asking to be hand-held. If something as literally obvious as FLASH FILL is beyond your scope of understanding... by the time it took you to type the post asking what it was, you could have had your answer doing a google.

Don't take it as a rag on you, its not personal, just a general thought that I see starting to happen more and more here on a regular basis. :)

Though many have been quick to offer suggestions regarding some of the lighting issues, I would also mention composition and framing. I am not much of a portrait photographer, but it bothers me a little that in two of the pictures pieces of your subjects are cut out of the frame (a chin and a shoe if I recall correctly). I understand how easy this is to do, and usually try to avoid it by shooting at a slightly shorter focal length than I would think to use, because you can always crop but you can never expand.

I take it you were not the primary photographer? I'm asking because in the majority of the photographs, the people were not looking at your camera. Here are some critique:

Top row (left to right):

1st pic. The girls are not looking directly into your camera. The backdrop isn't interesting, and could have been blurred out.

2nd pic. what is that white thing between their shoulders? the tree branches seem to be entering into their heads.

3rd pic. the last girl on the right is not looking into the camera, and seemingly had her eyes closed. Not all the girls have the same hand poses, and the two on the left got their hands chopped off. The backdrop isn't the greatest.

4th pic. The tree seems to be growing out of one of the guy's head.

The last time I checked, this was the "chat with a human being on newbie/beginners questions" forum and not the 'Google redirect' forum. Fill flash is when you add some light in front of your subject with your flash to either eliminate harsh shadows like you see here that's caused by light coming from the side or behind your subject. You're "filling" in shadows with your flash, hence "fill flash". There, is that really that hard? You'll want to use the fastest shutter speed you can so that you're proportionally capturing more of your flash and less of the natural light. Or, use a reflector with an assistant which is also a good suggestion.

This is going to come across as sounding harsh... but it's not meant to be.

I only looked at two of the photos that you linked for two main reasons. First and most important one being is the navigation of your album is basically non-existent. If you want people to keep looking at photos then don't make it so difficult for them to get back to the original. The second reason I didn't look at any more than two photos is this, and whether you composed the photos yourself or not the two I looked at didn't look like a professional took them at all. The lighting is too harsh and the photos looked like they were cropped from full body poses.

First thing you learn as a photographer (not saying that I'm a professional by any means but) you never photograph anyone in direct sunlight like that.

ttfn
CDL.

I agree with the people above saying that in some pictures, the sunlight is a little much. Also, either have everyone in shadows or everyone in sunlight.

Also, this is their prom. They should be enthusiastic and excited. Let them guide your pictures or, in essence, be their own models. Three or four proper portraits are fine, but you also want candids, like them sharing a joke or playing with each other's hair.

Lastly, try and connect the environment with your subject. Get more full shots. Have the trees and flowers work in your favor.

Good luck!

I wasn't paid or anything, it was my gf's sisters prom, with a ton of parents out there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back