Prom Pictures (first time)

kyle9128

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HEeditsharper.jpg
hannahedited.jpg

just 2 shots i liked from prom...i had to take them at my own prom for my high school photography class

The softness could work here but they are very, very yellow. I would tone that down. I like the shot though!

I think these would be great if you put in just a little more yellow.

She looks like she would be really attractive if she weren't so orange/yellow. Try to tone it down a bit.

agree, the second one looks better than the first one. And she has beautiful eyes. it would be great if you can emphasis that.

way too soft for me and the color is off like the others said

Too soft, the colour balance is off toward yellow, the highlights are blasted out by overexposure and the area around the eyes is way too dark. Better exposure and a little fill flash would have created a better shot.

skieur

far too soft, learn to photoshop the blemishes out WITHOUT loosing textur (will help allot)
also dont make the image too hot
its fairly easy to fix the blemishes in photos while retaining the texture which will make a much better image, if you have the original upload it here as a .jpg and ill have a play and show you and tell you the steps i took if i am successful

Far too dreamy / soft

At worst that may be a soft lens. The skin tones are over-saturated. Softness is most apparent around his tie and where her dress meets skin. Given that you've named the image "HEeditsharper" though, I take it that you've already tried sharpening these.

At f/6.3 and 85mm though, you have around 0.5m of acceptable sharpness at a focus distance of 3m (which I'm guessing is about where you were, given the size of their heads in the frame) to work with in the DoF, assuming you shot this with the EF-S 55-250.

If these were retouched, you've gone too far. But then I don't think they have been because of the lines under her eyes—if I were retouching these images that's one on the first things I'd tone down, with either the clone tool or a curves adjustment layer and layer mask to tone down the local contrast (or both), and some gaussian blur (which I'd apply to all the skin) with a layer mask, brushing it in with a very low opacity brush.

Furthermore, on the technical side, these images have the camera's RGB profile embedded (whatever the heck that means), and not sRGB. That may account for the colour balance issues. I noticed that when viewing these on my desktop via OS X's quick look, the red channel became WAY oversaturated.

I'd try to take these and fix the colour profile myself in Photoshop to provide an example, but my computer is out-of-commission for any heavy editing work for now (no fans :( ).

Okay, so I stuck an icepack under my laptop and gave this a go. Didn't have nearly as much time as I wanted because the GPU was slowly but surely crawling up past 80 degrees C. >.<

I assigned this an sRGB profile and tried to do some colour balancing using Variations and then selectively desaturating greens, reds, and magentas (primarily) with adjustment layers and a layer mask on each. Then I lightened the shadows under her left eye with the clone stamp at 10% opacity. This would be a lot easier with a RAW (and it's just a patchwork job; there are too many problems involved to get a good image from the wrong colour profile, and you can probably see the apparent "noise" that was introduced by changing the colour balance in the shadows of the faces).

HEeditsharpersRGBcolourbalattempt.jpg

the softness/yellowing kills it for me.

maybe you could take a sharper pic, however blur the skin for the same effect on the skin without the overall blur (assuming that was the look you were going for)

Most reactions

Back